Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

I cant tell if I have an eating disorder

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
I have wanted to lose weight for a long time, 3 years ago I started to just stop eating my lunch and then I kind of went back to normal until last year. I stopped eating for a few weeks. And then would eat again for a while and then stop for a few more weeks. It's hard for me not to eat but I'm proud of myself when I don't eat. I know I shouldn't want to be anorexic but I find myself wanting to be because then I would be skinny. I have made myself throw up a few times too. Being skinny and losing weight is always on my mind. Always. I don't know if I have an eating disorder or not. I'm not underweight 145 pounds and 5' 6'' but I know if I stop eating I drop 10 pounds a week cuz I've done it and I always think and want to do it again. And usually try but end up eating. I just don't know what's wrong with me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 9th, 2012
Sounds like you're developing one. I started out the same way, I took a lot of drugs and basically forgot to eat, I went from 175 at 5'4 to 130, after I realized how much I was losing I didn't wanna stop, I started throwing up, not eating, obsessing over girls who were "smaller" than me and taking a lot of laxitives when I was barely eating anything, and aready eating no fat. My advice is to look in the mirror and ask yourself if you're happy wit what you see. Do you really need to lose more weight? Or do you just want to tone up? My mom works in a psyche ward with anorexia patients and when I was in your position, she said I was starting one, its a vicious cycle tha only gains momentum if you feed it. you know how painful it is when your body begs for food.. and when your heart and chest hurt from malnourishment. Its not wrt it, you'd be better eating high fiber and protein foods and toning muscle, I've learned guys or girls aren't too attracted to a skin and bones 00 size girl that can't keep food in them.. yeah welook good in an oversized sweater and skinny jeans, but under that its a bony chest and weak fragile limbs.. not so fun. Be healthy and don't obesess with weight loss, obsess with your health. Your bodys a temple not a disposal. Sta positive hun, its not at all glamourous
|

replied April 9th, 2012
Sounds like you're developing one. I started out the same way, I took a lot of drugs and basically forgot to eat, I went from 175 at 5'4 to 130, after I realized how much I was losing I didn't wanna stop, I started throwing up, not eating, obsessing over girls who were "smaller" than me and taking a lot of laxitives when I was barely eating anything, and aready eating no fat. My advice is to look in the mirror and ask yourself if you're happy wit what you see. Do you really need to lose more weight? Or do you just want to tone up? My mom works in a psyche ward with anorexia patients and when I was in your position, she said I was starting one, its a vicious cycle tha only gains momentum if you feed it. you know how painful it is when your body begs for food.. and when your heart and chest hurt from malnourishment. Its not wrt it, you'd be better eating high fiber and protein foods and toning muscle, I've learned guys or girls aren't too attracted to a skin and bones 00 size girl that can't keep food in them.. yeah welook good in an oversized sweater and skinny jeans, but under that its a bony chest and weak fragile limbs.. not so fun. Be healthy and don't obesess with weight loss, obsess with your health. Your bodys a temple not a disposal. Sta positive hun, its not at all glamourous
|

replied April 9th, 2012
Also, you might notice you can drop 10 pounds from starving and bulemia, but yulllnotice gain it back through water weight and sodium.. its like beating your head against a wall its not real weight loss you're only losing water and what you immediatly ate, not the excess fat you dnt like seeing. There's better ways Smile
|