Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

I can't stop farting

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
sad2 I am 26 years old and I have had old problem I am disable to solve ... I am farting a lot and that makes me feel embarrassing too much and my family around are upset about my farts ... please help me ... and tell me what is my problem exactly is what I have to do sad2
I am looking forward for your reply ... Have a blast
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Some measures to reduce gas production include dietary and lifestyle changes. Take the following steps to help manage your symptoms:
‎
‎1. Increase the amount of fluid you drink, especially water. Avoid carbonated drinks and alcoholic ‎beverages.
‎
‎2. Avoid foods that cause gas, such as beans, broccoli, cabbage, and bran. The amount of gas that ‎different foods cause varies from person to person.
‎
‎3. Avoid swallowing air. Swallowing air may increase your symptoms.
‎
‎4. Eat slowly. Avoid gulping food or beverages. When you rush through meals or eat on the run, you ‎are more likely to swallow air.
‎
‎5. Chew your food thoroughly before you swallow.
‎
‎6. Avoid drinking through a straw.
‎
‎7. Avoid chewing gum or eating hard candy.
‎
‎8. Do not smoke or use other tobacco products.
‎
‎9. If you wear dentures, check with a dentist to make sure they fit properly.
‎
‎10. Keep calm. Tension and anxiety can cause you to swallow air.
‎
Some foods to be avoided include certain fermentable short-chained carbohydrates that are ‎degradable by intestinal bacteria yielding large amount of gases, like hydrogen or carbon dioxide, thus ‎causing excess of gas. Such food include
‎
‎1. White bread, pasta, pastries, cookies, onions, and asparagus, leeks, garlic, chicory roots and chicory ‎based coffee substitutes.
‎
‎2. Legumes (soy, beans, chickpeas, lentils), cabbage and brussel sprouts.
‎
‎3. Honey, dried fruits like prunes, figs, dates, or raisins, apples, pears, sweet cherries, peaches, agave ‎syrup, watermelon, papaya.

In the mean time, Use of OTC medications mentioned below can be used to have some relief.
‎
‎1. Activated charcoal (Charcocaps) , will absorb the excess gas produced.
‎
‎2. Antacids, such as Di-Gel, Maalox Anti-Gas, and Mylanta Gas, allow gas to be belched away more ‎easily.
‎
‎3. Food enzymes, such as Beano, which help break down the sugars found in vegetables and grains, ‎can be added to foods that cause you to have gas.
‎
I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.