Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

i can't remember it all but test has the word defecating,?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
My question is,I just went for a second opinion at Yale New Haven in Ct. I've had servere pain in the lower left side prior to a Bowel Movement. I have to have an MRI, and I don't know the name of it totally and I can't ask her because she is on vacation. It has the word defecating in it. I remember her telling me I would be in an MRI machine and would drink some contrast and they would insert contrast in my butt. Can you tell me what the name of the test might be, and what is done during it. She did induce diarreha, Miralax 3 times a day and milk of magnesia at night, to see if I have a pain when the stool is loose. She thinks that stool might be getting stuck or lodged in the colon. That's why I'm having this test done. Can you please help me out with know about it. Thank You!!

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2012
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A32608
Welcome to e health forum.

The test advised by your doctor is probably a defecography also called MRI Defecating proctogram. This is a test used to diagnose pelvic floor dysfunction or slow transit constipation. Any form of obstructive lesions or incomplete defecation, due to weakness of the musculature (pelvic floor) will be detected by this testing modality.

In this procedure, your rectum will be filled with a soft paste (Barium contrast) with the same consistency as stool. As you expel the paste, MRI images are taken to evaluate the completeness of stool elimination and rectal muscle contractions.

You will be asked to lie on the MRI scanner and a small tube will be inserted into your bottom to allow a small quantity of a special gel to be put into the rectum. The tube will be removed and you will be asked to lie on your back. You will then be asked to clench, relax and strain while pictures are taken. You may feel worried that this is a little undignified but please be reassured that the technicians and staff will do their best to ensure your privacy at all times.

In total the procedure takes about 20 minutes and is completely painless.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.