Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

I can't poop unless I smoke a cigarrete...Help!

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I haven't been able to poop unless I smoke... I wan't to stop smoking and when I do stop for a couple of day's I can't go to the bathroom so in order for me to go in the morning I smoke right before I go to work. That's the only time I feel like I have the urge to use the restroom.. I drink water and I eat a lot of fiber and have taken Metamucil all that does is bulk me up and when I use the restroom there is mostly gas.. Besides bowel movement is there something else that helps push it down I don't get that urge anymore. I used to be regular and go at least 3 times or 2 times a day. Also I've noticed that my poop comes out even thinner then before. I don't know if it's inner hemorrhoids I don't think it is.

I just want to quit the smoking part..
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper TRLA
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2009
I am afraid that I cannot shed much light on why you can only have a bowel movement if you smoke. However, you do need to quit smoking. Additionally, you should probably be evaluated by a GI doctor to make sure that these changes in your bowel habits are not due to a serious health problem, including colorectal cancer.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied August 20th, 2009
Bowel Movement After Smoking
This is a common problem with people who have recently quit smoking. Your body is in a state of "shock" and while it might seem as though your body is feeling worse after having quit smoking, in fact its quite the opposite. It's a natural detox period that your body must go though. For some it is over quickly, for others it may take longer. It is important to pay close attention to your diet during this period and also try your best to keep active. Regular exercise is a vital part of any routine and will help with this. I know as I too have quit in the last 2 years.
|

replied September 18th, 2009
I had the same problem when I stop smoking it got worse. I gained 3 pds a week or more. drs cant find anything. strange though i weighted 97 pds when i stopped smoking now 12 years later i am over 300 I dont know which is worse and everything is the same thin poop and all
|

replied September 24th, 2009
With regards to the thin poop you need to see a GI doctor and ask him to check for an internal prolapse. This is quite a common problem in women and can cause obstructed defecation and thin stools. Not all GI docs will send you for this test so I suggest you ask. Google inernal prolapse of the colon for more info. Good luck. In the meantime if you want to get things moving then Miralax is very good and you can take it on a regular basis.
|

replied December 1st, 2010
I quit 2 days ago and experienced similar problem's, after some research i have found that coffee will help you "go" also because the caffeine relaxes the colon, i tried coffee and it worked great. now i have no need to go back to smoking.
|

replied August 5th, 2013
for me it's both. I need the caffeine and the cig. trying to quit smoking but finding the same frustrations as everyone else and nothing no over the counter or scripts help with being able to poop. it got so bad I had to drink colon prep solution. I think it is tho a detox period, but the problem becomes compounded I think when you have other stomach issues.
|

replied January 5th, 2012
Bowel movement change since quit smoking
I quit smoking 6 months ago and have not had a regular bowel movement since.
I have to take pills to have a bowel movement.
I now have hemroids.
I'm lucky if I have a bowel movement once a week.
My diet has not changed what-so-ever.
Wish I never would of quit !
|

replied August 5th, 2013
I wish you luck. instead of pills have you spoken to an herbalist at all? I find them to be helpful when doctors aren't.
|

replied January 5th, 2012
Bowel movement change since quit smoking
I quit smoking 6 months ago and have not had a regular bowel movement since.
I have to take pills to have a bowel movement.
I now have hemroids.
I'm lucky if I have a bowel movement once a week.
My diet has not changed what-so-ever.
Wish I never would of quit !
|

replied March 12th, 2012
big hard poop...10 days, no smoking! Yikes!
I quit smoking 10 days ago. I started off right away by not being able to poop. Now, I am starting to poop, my poop is so large and hard it tears my bunhole. I can't even wipe, I have to dab because it hurts and its bright red blood on the toilet paper. What should I do?
|

replied August 5th, 2013
stool softeners?
|

replied August 5th, 2012
Doctors are full of BS and don't really understand how significant and powerful are the drugs contain in cigarette smoke. I gave up cigarette smoking over 20 years ago. Only smoke 1/2 pack a day. I bloated with constipation and maintained a steady intake of stool softeners and fiber laxatives. Had 3 pooper snooper exams, an MRI, and lots of other diagnostics finding nothing. Was in a lot of pain off and on from this and it started to affect my lower spine.

Finally, I had enough, nothing to lose anymore. Am 61 and dont want to live in this condition. I have started a program of smoking 1 cigarette after each meal, maximum 3 a day. I started crapping like a bird, almost 20 lbs of crap in 4 days. After that first week I started going regular again with little or no supplements, once always in the morning and sometimes again in evening. Thin, irregular stools, all gone, Back pain going away. Been on this for 3 weeks. Only fear is getting re addicted and smoking like chimney. Other fear is it will stop working. My waist size has dropped from at time over 40" when I was bloating, to less than 36. No change in diet! Feel great!
|

replied November 2nd, 2012
I'm the same, used to get really bad constipation as a kid started smoking at 15 and always go regular, have tried many times to give up smoking, once for 5 months but just can't poop without a cig in the morning. Went to drs numerous times and they said I will poop again in time. Bs, doctors are full of it ! I got piles from taking laxatives and suppositorys and felt constantly ill, I now smoke 1 cig a day in the morning and always go. All my fan have probs with bm my bro only 1 time every 2-3 weeks and my son and mum also suffer this. Doctors don't bother to take concerns seriously because they don't care. Tobbacco contains products that speed up the metabolism and also have diuretic and laxative chemicals in, drs don't tell you this they just basically tell you to give up without taking concerns seriously, they also don't tell you that you will get very bad acne, terrible wind, bloating as well as the usual tiredness and feeling dizzy. If smoking 1 thin roll up a day means I can poop then it's worth it !
|

replied November 15th, 2012
Giving up smoking I can't poo
It was the same 4 me too. I have radiation damage to my bowel and have short bowel syndrome. If my bowel becomes constipated my bowel then stops working and goes jelly like. It makes me so sick and in agony. Because I have short bowel syndrome I normally have diarrhoea but when I gave up smoking I felt my poo went to concrete and thought I was gonna die. Because I have an illeostomy bag I have to be on a low fibre diet and can't take laxatives. Even when I smoke I regularly have bowel obstructions which causes a lot of pain and can't even touch stoma because its agony. I felt when I gave up smoking I became sooooo dehydrated. I feel stuck and don't have a choice I need to smoke to survive. Sad I wouldn't be able to keep drinking coffee either because with sbs u need to limit your drink intake.
|

replied May 31st, 2014
IT HAPPENS WHEN WE ARE IN NEED OF SM JERK IN MORNING FOR POOPING.....BETTER GET BUSY JUST AFTER WAKING UP...DONT THING ABT POOPING...DRING 4-5 SIP OF WATER AND...START DOING UR REGULAR WORK...BE CAREFUL THT U SHOULD NEAR TO BATH ROOM...ULL FEEL PRESSURE.....KEEP IN MINFD UR WORK ROUTINE ND KEEP THINKING SMTHING GOOD........ND SIT ON POT...ND KEEP THINKING GOOD...ULL GET GUD OUTPUT....ITS PSYCHOLOGICAL NT ACTUAL...
|

replied June 26th, 2014
I quit smoking 19 years ago and still have that problem. I am very tired of it, but do not want to start smoking again. I get so bloated that not only do my clothes not fit, I feel like I am going to pop. Doctor says its just IBS. Laxatives when they don't work only make me feel worse. I am trying to find an answer too. If I drink a strong beer first thing in the morning, that usually works, but I work 5 days a week and cannot, or should not, drink before work.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.