Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

I bleed after intercourse and...

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I am eighteen and I'm on birth control. I've been using the pill for three years. About a month ago I had unprotected sex and I had bleeding after that didn't seem normal, it lasted quite a few days. Approximately two weeks ago I had my period and now I'm having an even heavier flow. Why do nd why am I having a second period?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2011
Menstruation Answer A19058
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Bleeding after intercourse could be attributed to injury to vagina or cervix, cervical erosion, cancer changes in cervix, presence of polyps, uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts etc. The second time bleeding and heavy blood flow could also be due to above said causes along with possibility of pregnancy (if you were not regular with taking your birth control pills). To confirm the cause for your symptoms and get started on appropriate treatment, you should consider visiting a gynecologist for a thorough examination, blood & hormonal work-up and an ultrasound scan.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.