Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

I am really concerned about my babys health...

Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
User Profile
Hello I am 22 weeks pregnant. A couple of weeks ago my doctor told me i have genital warts, I have never had any signs of this before I fell pregnant. I only had about 4 and I had them frozen and they dissapeared. I checked with a mirror just to check everything was ok and am horrified to see even more have appeared in larger groups and in more areas. I am really concerned about my babys health and whether Ii will be able to continue with a vaginal birth or not. If I continue to have these warts frozen each time I have an outbreak will they be kept under control and will they go after I have given birth? Is there any other treatment I can use at home alongside the freezing?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2012
Herpes and Genital Warts Answer A33337
Welcome to e health forum.

90% of genital warts caused by Human papilloma viruses (subtypes 6 or 11). Currently available therapies for genital warts likely reduce, but probably do not eradicate, HPV infectivity.

Using cryotherapy, to have the warts removed does not result in any form of scarring or cause any difficulty during normal childbirth. Also, cryotherapy just helps in removing the warts and is not curative therapy. It does not eradicate HPV infection in the genital area, and recurrence of warts can occur at a later date.

You should consult your doctor, who can prescribe you topical creams containing - podofilox (0.5%) or Imiquimod (5%) which will be much helpful.

Podofilox solution should be applied with a cotton swab, or podofilox gel with a finger, to visible genital warts twice a day for 3 days, followed by 4 days of no therapy. This cycle can be repeated, as necessary, for up to four cycles.

Imiquimod cream should be applied once daily at bedtime, three times a week for up to 16 weeks.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.