Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

hysterectomy 5 years ago, still have pain in the abdomen?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago. I still have pain in the abdomen and bowel pain. Any suggestions? I also have a very bloated abdomen and dragging pains iny legs
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

The causes of abdominal pain can be due to a lot of causes. When all investigations like ultrasound or CT of the abdomen have been done and they are not able to detect the cause, then it is possible that adhesions can be the cause.

Adhesions are fibrous bands that form between tissues and organs, often as a result of injury during surgery. They are more common in individuals undergoing multiple abdominal surgeries (more common with pelvic, lower abdominal surgeries, including bowel and gynecological surgeries) or conditions like endometriosis.

Although most abdominal adhesions are asymptomatic, in severe cases, they present with is chronic abdominal or pelvic pain. Other symptoms include reduced appetite, vomiting, bloating, abdominal distension, constipation, etc.

No tests are available to diagnose adhesions, and adhesions cannot be seen through imaging techniques such as x rays or ultrasound. Most adhesions are found during exploratory surgery.

Treatment for abdominal adhesions is usually not necessary, as most do not cause problems. Surgery is currently the only way to break adhesions that cause pain, intestinal obstruction, or fertility problems. But more surgery, however, carries the risk of additional adhesions and is avoided when possible.

You might consult with your doctor for a proper examination and proper advice and treatment.
|

replied March 26th, 2012
Hello, I have had a lot of surgeries in the past few years, about 8 or nine. I had an appointment with my GP today and he has referred me to Gynae again as I had suffered from pelvic inflammatory disease before my hysterectomy.
My bowel was stuck to the womb by adhesions so I think I could possibly have adhesions attached to my bowel again.
What do you think about this?
Many thanx, Angiebabiee
|

replied April 17th, 2012
hysterectomy 4 weeks ago
I had a hysterectomy 4 weeks ago, when I stand up I feel that internally the tissue over my pubic area feels tight all the way up to the wound and it makes my want to stoop when I walk, does this sound normal . Karen
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.