Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

hypothyroidism at age 18

Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
hi. i have been diagnosed of having a hypo-active thyroid for two years. i was prescribed by me doctor to take levothyroxine to supplement my iodine deficiency. he gave me 75 mg dosage and after months of taking that med, i still dont fell any improvement. symptoms like difficulty in breathing and the feeling of being choked had been coming in often recently. i have asked my doctor why i am having those symptoms and he was not able to answer my question properly. he said it may not signify that my thyroid is getting larger every time i have the feeling and gets smaller whenever i feel okay.

my neck is not that big but i feel my neck is swelling.

can you please help me know why i am having these symptoms.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Sometimes your thyroid will enlarge in an attempt to produce more thyroid hormone. It's called a goiter. They were very common back before they started putting iodine in salt. When your medication is correct, it should go back to a more normal size.

You mentioned an iodine deficiency. That isn't the same thing as a thyroid hormone deficiency, but it can cause it. Did your doctor suggest getting more iodine in your diet? Good sources include iodized salt, seafood, eggs, seaweed and sea kelp, soy, and dairy products. There are also supplements you can take. Try increasing the amount of iodine in your diet and see if that improves things.

You need to have your thyroid hormone levels checked through what is called a TSH test. It should be done every three months or so until your thyroid is balanced and then periodically after that. It takes about three months for your body to re-adjust to a new dosage. If your doctor says your thyroid is balanced and you still feel symptoms, then your TSH is not normal for you and you need to keep trying. Some people (like myself) have a lot of trouble getting the dosage right.

When you take your thyroid pills, make sure you take them at the same time every day, on an empty stomach. First thing in the morning is usually best. Wait at least an hour before eating. This will help keep the dosage consistent, which is extremely important.

I would also suggest going to an endocrinologist because it doesn't sound as though your doctor is working with you like he should or taking your symptoms seriously.

Also, start doing research into this subject. There are a lot of great resources on the internet about thyroid issues. When you understand more about the thyroid and how it works, you will be better able to participate with your doctor in your own health care.

P.S. FYI: thyroid medication is measured in micrograms (mcg), not milligrams (mg). The dosage is very very small, but very significant. Smile

If you need anything else or have any other questions, feel free to write back. I hope some of this information helped. Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?