Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

hypoglycemic symptoms ?

i was talking with a friend about some weird symtoms in casual conversation. he informed me that i may be hypoglycemic, because some of his friends are and he is also diabetic. but im not sure how accurate he is. some of the symptoms i have are headaches, nausea when im hungry, i feel very worn out all the time even tho i haent done much. i have also experience a few scary episodes. the worst one happened first, so i got frightened when they started happeninng the next two times. i was shopping for face cream and all of a sudden i started getting real hot, then dizzy, lightheaded and then i couldnt see anything. felt as if i was going to pass out so i sat down. the lady assisting me was giving me water, but it wasnt working. my sight woould come and go, mostly go. it was not black, only REAlly blurry. this whole episode lasted over five minutes. i was almost going to have the lady call an ambulance, but then it slowly started getting better, and the hottness started to subside. now the other two were not as bad or as long but i did start to feel it coming on. i started to get hot, then a minute later i got dizzy, and then my sight started to go a little bit. i would sit down and drink my ,water the second time, and soda the third. and it would slowly go away. It sounds like i might have it, based on my findings on the internet, but i was wondering if this could be anything else?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2009
Community Volunteer
Unfortunately, it could be hypoglycemia, but it could also be a number of things. The only way to find out is talk to a doctor and then get proper testing done.
|

replied January 24th, 2009
well, i dont have any sort of medical insurance. is there any sort of way of testing myself? i read on here some people test their blood sugar at certain times to moniter how fast blood sugar levels drop, or whatever they are looking for that.
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2009
Community Volunteer
You could do that, but I'm not sure you can get a monitor and strips without a prescription. Then again, you probably can, but the cost is going to be about the same thing probably for a doctor visit. If you're worried about money, the one thing you can do is test yourself based on eating habits. It's the easiest way to figure out if something is connected to your eating. I suggest you read through my diet on this forum to get an idea of how you should eat. Do that and see what happens. If you notice some changes in about two weeks, there may be a connection. Eating healthy won't hurt you, it will only make you better, but if you DO have something going on, expect to feel totally awful at first because of the sugar withdrawal. Just warning you now, because you might be surprised with how bad you feel should you actually have hypoglycemia or something causing it. You'll feel like you're dying, I can't stress that enough.
|

replied February 13th, 2009
website suggestion...

Make sure you drink plenty of purified water. Dehydration can cause all sorts of problems.
I had the incident you described and I believe it to be a symptom of hypoglycemia.
If you want to be tested go to an alternative physician or naturopathic physician. No traditional physician had ever diagnosed me.
Don't drink soda or caffeine. Don't ingest sugar; whether you're hypoglycemic or not sugar is never good for the body.
|