Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

hypoglycemic diet options

Hey all, I'm a 20 year old student, and I believe I have some form of hypoglycemia. For years I've been getting lightheaded occasionally after meals, but after switching to a vegan diet high in refined carbs and drinking too much, I began to get much much more sensitive. Since then I've changed my diet and habits drastically.

When I eat meals, often I'll get dizzy, lightheaded and drained after about 15 minutes. I'll have trouble socializing or focusing; this will last about an hour, sometimes longer. This mainly happens when I eat carbs; if I were to eat a salad, I wouldn't experience those effects. Eating sugar intensifies my symptoms, I avoid it at all costs.

However, I don't usually experience symptoms of hypoglycemia if I skip a meal, I only experience them after eating one. My first meal of the day is usually the most difficult in terms of my reaction. This year I've been living on campus so I've had very limited options in what I can eat; this summer, though, I've put together a meal plan for myself -- I was hoping that some of you could lend your advice/criticism.

I weigh ~160 lbs. and can tolerate whole grains:

8A:
-1 hard boiled egg (2g carbs, 17g protein, 14g fat)
-1 cup WG Kashi (15/2/.5)
-1 vitamin (0/0/0)

11A:
-1 medium carrot (6/1/0)
-23 almonds (6/6/14)

2P:
-1 can of tuna (0/40/3)
-1 slice WG bread (20/4/2)

5P:
-1 apple (21/0/.5)
-1/2 cup shredded cheese (.5/14/19)
-1 slice WG bread (20/4/2)

8P:
-1/4 cup WG rice w/ soy sauce (32/3/1)
-1 small salad (8/1/0)

11P:
-1 medium stalk of celery (1/0/0)
-1/2 cup of hummus (18/10/12)

Total for the day: 150g carbs, 102g protein, 68g fat

Edit: This adds up to 1,620 calories, which seems a little low to me. Where should I add calories, and of what?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Try two eggs in the morning, fried if you can. This keeps the yolk a little more loose, which makes it digest easier. I suggest avoiding stuff like Kashi and going for REAL grain, boiled. No fruit? Root vegetables might need to be avoided, but if they seem okay keep it up. Walnuts always seem to be better, almonds have a mild poison in them that can irritate your stomach if you eat them too much. Don't bother with whole grain bread unless it truly isn't, which I'm going to bet is not what you think you're eating. Look for a bread called Ezekiel. It will be in a natural store or natural section of a supermarket, usually in a freezer. These 'meals' are strange. Just some shredded cheese and an apple? Also, TOO much bread. No more than one slice a day to start. I first off also noticed that you're not eating too much protein. Being a vegan and doing this is not very easy at all, and avoiding protein is not going to be easy, it will prove INCREDIBLY difficult for you. Soy is not an option because of what it does to the body in large quantities. Probably too many carbs in the day there, and way too much over an extended period of time, you're giving your body no chance to keep its sugar stable because you keep pumping it in there. Snack type meals should be mainly protein, not carbs, and you're having quite a bit with every meal. In addition, breakfast and lunch, or at least the 3-4 earliest meals, should be the largest, it's ridiculous to eat half a cup of humus that late in the day. Primarily protein before you go to bed. Make sure you read my diet rules at the top of this forum.
|

replied May 19th, 2008
Supporter
How many calories are you aiming for?

For 2000 cals, a carb/protein/fat percentage of 30/30/40 gives you 150/150/88. That looks a little better, although you may want to play with those percentages. You definitely need more calories than you mentioned in that meal plan.

Can you eat peanut butter?

150 carbs is a reasonably low amount for the average person. However if you are hypoglycemic, you may want to lower that to around 100g, and get this from fruit and veggies rather than bread etc.

If you are experiencing symptoms just 15 minutes after you eat, it may be a number of conditions. Rapid stomach emptying, a sensitivity to something in your food, and so on. You need to explain these symptoms to a doctor and find the underling cause as it may not be hypoglycemia, the symptoms are common.
I also have problems soon after eating but it's thought to be a separate issue to hypoglycemia.
|

replied September 22nd, 2008
Kashi
I always thought Kashi was a safe choice. After all, it was better than lucky charms, right? I had some a week or so ago, and within an hour, I went back to bed, getting that groggy feeling you get when you need a sugar nap. I was "out" for hours. I swear, I'd have been better off eating the lucky charms!

I've had Kashi before, and I guess I just never noticed how badly it affected me, or I had chalked the reaction up to something else I had eaten with it.
|