Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia or high metabolism ? (Page 1)

For many years, I had thought I had a major mental illness because I could never figure out why my mental states would change so drastically without my control. I've had many embarrassing social interactions throughout my life due to feeling fatigue and zoned out during those instances. There are many instances where I'd actually slur my words and feel like I could barely keep my eyes open. The most noticeable symptom would be losing so much awareness to the surroundings around me where I can become very disoriented where people actually probably wonder WTH is wrong with me. I want to stress that this only happens though FREQUENTLY and not all of the time. A blood sugar imbalance makes sense.

This also has a way of interfering with how fluently I can structure sentences together even with typing. Right now I'm feeling a little indecisive and know that I'm capable of communicating better than I am now, but I'm well enough to at least get my post out here.

Now after reading several posts on this site, it appears that hypoglycemics are trying to LOSE weight. I'm about 6' @ 132 lbs trying to GAIN. It seems like no matter how much I eat, I cannot put on weight. After reading this forum though I realize I might just need more protein in my diet, but is that really the case? If I'm trying to slow the breakdown of glucose, shouldn't I be consuming lots of fiber and (healthy) fats too? Any suggestions?

Just too high of a metabolism? I was prescribed ADD medication Vyvanse (Slow release Adderall/d-amphetamine) at the smallest CHILD dose they offer (30mg) and the stuff hit me REALLY hard all at once. What happened was my body seemed to have absorbed the entire pill within a couple hours which would should have been throughout the whole day. I say this because I became very very excited and felt AMAZING like I was on top of the world for a short period. I even went out and impulsively registered a domain name (which expired recently) for a web site idea I had for a while. Felt like I had the energy to do anything in the world. I told my psychiatrist how hard it hit me he honestly thought I was nuts. I know metabolism slows down with age so I wonder if just having a really high metabolism in combination with a minor case of hypoglycemia could be the problem? (BTW, the reason I started taking amphetamine was to battle the fatigue and tiredness spells I had from sugar imbalances.)

Here are some other things I wonder if are hypoglycemic related:
(Over the last couple years I've become very aware of my body's behavior and I'm always on my toes ready to detect any occurrence that takes place in my body. I detect what most people would never.

- Mental effects. Brain can go from sharp, fluent, and witty, to a point where I can't even perform simple logic. I become really indecisive; My brain's memory & cognitive ability becomes highly impaired: You could ask me a simple question and it would take me several seconds to comprehend what the question is actually asking and how I should reply. Again, this only happens when my blood sugar is imbalanced.

- Bloodshot eyes. They aren't severely bloodshot, but there are many noticeable blood vessels visible at all times. I also have a moderate amount of eye floaters.

- Dark circles under the eyes. Darkness levels will vary. Some days they aren't noticeable at all.

- Unpredictable acne patterns. I can go days with having no new pimples at times and even a facial complexion that looks good. The next day I could have a bunch of whiteheads and new pimples with poor complexion. By my age (21) I thought for sure that my acne would have been gone by now.

- Occasional pinch in fingertips. Every once in a while I'll get a barely noticeable pinch in a fingertip that comes and goes about as quick as it would feel if someone were to poke you quickly with a needle. Diabetic symptoms are similar in which you would look out for "tingling of the fingers". This isn't a tingling but rather a split second pinch.

- Occasional minor twitches in my arms, legs, sometimes other places. These feel like little muscle twitches that come and go really quickly. Again, it disturbs me to think it's probably my nervous system self destructing. These twitches were more frequent and noticeable when I was taking amphetamine. I don't remember having twitches before I was taking the drug because it was over a year ago, but I might have and just not noticed.

- Have felt like I was going to pass out on some occasions. I feel like I'm about to pass out about 4-5 times a year. There are only 2 occurrences in my life when I've actually lost consciousness for brief seconds. However, ever since I've learned how to eat a little bit I haven't had any issues. I do think adrenaline is related to this though. When I feel anxious about something when my blood sugar is low, I become dizzier and feel like I'm going to pass out. Just sitting in a classroom with people can make me feel like I'm going to pass out because of the anxiety of thinking about what would happen if I did.

One thing that I find interesting is that often I will feel most optimal right when I first wake up in the morning, but once I eat something I'll begin to start losing it. This doesn't make sense to me because we're talking 8-9 hours since I ate or drank ANYTHING. My blood sugar should be at it's lowest point in the morning right? I generally go to sleep between 1-2AM and wake up at 10-11AM. I always try to snack some time before I go to bed on mixed nuts, dried apricots, and some cereal. (Only low sugar and high fiber cereals/whole grain w/ roughly a cup of 1% milk)

Here are some quick facts:
- I never drink soda. The only sugary liquids I drink are orange juice, cranberry juice, and that V8 twist crap. But when I do, I have learned to keep my servings between 4-6oz and always eat something with high fiber or protein with it.
- I avoid simple carbohydrates and anything sugary most of the time. This includes anything with a high sugar content. When I eat ice cream, cookies or the like, I do so in very small portions. For instance if everyone were eating Oreos, I would only eat one (and only if I just consumed a full size meal). Then I eat a handful of mixed nuts after it.
- I eat an apple and orange/grapefruit every day.
- I don't get a lot of physical activity and never really have. I spend very long hours on the PC.
- My mom and her dad have sugar imbalances.
- Supplements taken: Vitamin-C; equate complete multivitamin (comparable to Centrum); Fish, Flaxseed, Borage Oil (All included in single tablet); Fish oil (1000mg 3x/day)

In conclusion, I can feel really good at times when I'm balanced, but unfortunately I can never seem to hold that feeling to feel exceptional for more than a few days at once. It's so hard to monitor every little thing I eat because my diet is so diverse and I'm usually not even the one cooking what I eat.

So, do you think I qualify as a hypoglycemiac? I know there are many diagnoses out there sugar/glycose related and I'd like to confirm that this is what I have. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. I want to find the ideal diet so I can have optimal mental sharpness more than 20% of the time. I get upset when I feel great because I know it won't last and it might be days, weeks, or even months before I feel that good again. I want to believe with some diet tweaks I can live a much happier life. My biggest issue is in the workplace, I'm either going to have an excellent day, good day, manageable day, or miserable day where I feel lethargic, watery-eyed, and can't focus or structure sentences together if my life depended on it.

Sorry for the long read, but this is my #1 nemesis and I'm desperate for help. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rbella
|

replied March 19th, 2009
Hello! Well, it sounds like you have a wide variety of factors affecting you. And while they seem to correlate with some of the symptoms of low blood sugar, your feeling faint for example, or tingling fingers, general foginess, as many medical sites say, sometimes these symptoms can be something else entirely than hypoglycemia.

But I understand your confusion and worry. I've had many of the same problems, but have not been diagnosed or tested yet. Really, I think the only way to know for sure if you have hypoglycemia is to be tested for it. I would recommend seeing a doctor about it. I think it'd be worth it as you have many hypo symptoms. Until then, try eating six small meals per day and make sure they are consistent. This can help regulate your blood sugar levels. It sounds like you're already avoiding sugars, but maybe cut them out completely?

Good luck!
|

replied March 19th, 2009
I don't really experience a tingling, it's feels more like a needle tip poking it really fast. I probably wouldn't even notice it if I weren't so observant of my body.

I do consume very little sugar. People act like I'm nuts when I have so little portions of sweets. They tend to think I'm over paranoid by saying something like "Oh come on that little bit won't hurt you!". But it doesn't take much for me to feel it.

I have been doing fairly decent recently, I was just seeking minor tweaks I could maybe make to be even more stable. Someone could just suggest I add something to my diet or take supplements.

I know I can feel good for several hours at a time if everything is right, but I'm just trying to pinpoint what it is exactly that's making me feel good so I can be that way more often. I have a pretty unbalanced and unpredictable diet and what I eat and when is never consistent. Just seems too troublesome to manage.

Thanks for the reply.
|

replied April 24th, 2009
Hypoglycemia
Your post sounds very similar to my situation. I am 6' and usually weight between 130 and 140lbs. I have tried everything to gain weight but it never works. Growing up I started complaining about feeling tired and they kept running blood work for anemia and viral infections. Finally my mother spoke up that she was hypothyroid and they checked my thyroid levels. They were low. They did not think to test me for this because I was so skinny. Being hypothyroid usually causes people to gain lots of weight. My thyroid medication helps my symptoms, but only slightly.

I have been prescribed both Vyvanse (they do make a 20mg version) and dextroamphetamine. They have been the only medications that has helped my energy and cognitive functions. Unfortunately they completely shut down my appetite and I begin loosing weight. At my size this is not an option.

I have also been prescribed a slew of antidepressants. Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor, Cymbalta, Pristiq, Serzone, and Wellbutrin. No positive effects from any of them. When you tell a doctor your are tired and have difficulty thinking they seem to jump to clinical depression more times than not.

Where you and I differ is you seem to experience regular bouts of improved function and I do not. I constantly feel tired, fatigued, irritable, and shaky. I also have bloodshot eyes, dark circles under the eyes, very poor cognitive functions, minor muscle twitches and difficulty sleeping. My problem has been on going for 15 years and gets worse each year.

I have been through more testing than I care to say. I have been called a hypochondriac by most of the doctors I have seen including General Practitioners, Endocrinologists, Rheumatologists, Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Neurologists, and Immunologists. Even though I exhibited many symptoms of hypoglycemia not a single doctor ever tested me for it specifically. I started experiencing severe back pain with no physical explanation. They ran blood work several times but everything was normal, until the third go around. My blood glucose was low this time. They had me go in and do a three hour Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT).

For this test you have to fast for 12 hours. They then draw your blood to check your fasting blood surgar level. After that they give you a drink that is loaded with a specific amount of glucose. Next they draw your blood at 30 minutes, 60 minutes, two hours and three hours.

My fasting and half hour blood sugar was normal. Then my blood sugar plummeted. By three hours it was down to 46 mg/dL. This type of hypoglycemia is called Reactive Hypoglycemia. Reactive Hypoglycemia is caused by your body over reacting to the intake of sugar. It would be nearly impossible to detect without medical testing. From your symptoms it sounds like this may be what is causing your problems.

It is important to seek medical advice because this form of hypoglycemia can be a symptom of a more serious condition. This could be anything from Endocrine deficiencies to a tumor in the pancreas. Sometimes the cause is unknown and you can easily treat it with a change in diet. It also could be that this is not your problem at all and something else is the root of your troubles. Self diagnosing and medicating can easily hide the real problem.

I hope this helps. I just had my test done a few days ago. I am scheduled to see a nutritionist in a week. The doctor wants me to stay on a very strict diet and come back for more testing in a month.
|

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2009
Community Volunteer
All of your symptoms sound pretty much like the majority of what I went through years ago.
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2009
Experienced User
Underweight
Being underweight is caused by starving muscles. Your body can't use carbohydrates properly. It doesn't burn them properly and release ungodly amount of insulin when they're eaten.

This leads to hyperinsulinemia storing sugar away as fat, body proteins being destroyed to provide glucose and cells becoming impermeable to insulin so they can't be nourished.

You're probably skinny but have visceral fat or abdominal fat accumulation. Have your body fat percentage measured and you'll see for yourself what I mean. Well toned non-starving people can't have a body fat percentage as low as 7% without being skinny at all. Skinniness due to sugar metabolism problem occurs also at body fat percentage as high as 18% (all stored in the abdominal area)

Can you see your abs muscles, your 6 pack?

Recently I have read a lot of papers about Reactive Hypoglycemia and according to some researchers it is actually what people diagnosed as schizophrenic, alcoholic, obsessive compulsive, clinically depressed, social phobic and chronically anxious, really suffer from.

A paper by an endocrinologist used these exact words: "I find it find appaling to think of the number of people who need their sugar tested not their psyche probed!"

People with Fibromyalgia suffer from RHG and it's not still clear whether the Fibromyalgia is actually caused by the hypoglycemia.

More evidence are being published that an impaired sugar metabolism and hyperinsulinemia are the main culprit in the development of cancer and heart disease. In fact a recent studies showed that lowering insulin level and blood sugar levels starve off cancer cells.

Hypoglycemia is a misnomer and it makes it appears less invalidating and severe than it is. The real definition should be "metabolic endocrine hyperinsulinemic syndrome of impaired glucose metabolism" or "carbohydrate intolerant adult-onset phosphate diabetes"
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Definitely agree with that man, I myself had symptoms so severe I thought I was either dying or going insane. It is amazing the effects of something like this on the body and mind overall, simply amazing, but not in a good way. The more I think about it myself, the more I think it's a huge problem behind a lot of issues. And to show you how idiotic some people are, I saw this doctor on the news about three weeks ago who actually said there is new research that proves SUGAR HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DEVELOPMENT OF DIABETES. Oh my god, are you serious? With that logic they can eat sugar then, what in the world are you talking about? It's in EVERYTHING. I always feel bad for vegetarians out there, for example, who go to the health food store and buy all these 'organic' cereals and tofu burgers. They're LOADED with sugar! Turbinado or white sugar, doesn't matter, SAME DANG THING. So explain the six pack thing, are you saying if you can see it you're good to go, because I'm handing out free samples of beer over here if that's the case.
|

replied November 18th, 2009
hypoglyfukd, your first paragraph states exactly how i feel almost all of the time. I'm almost always zoned out, not very aware of my surroundings, out of focus, fatigued, always slurring my sentences and not quite saying words and sentences properly to the point where people can't understand me properly. Always indecisive. I'm about 5'11 and have weighed 60kg since I was about 13. I'm 19 now and still the same weight. I don't have a very nutritional diet. Not alot of fruit or vegetables. But I still have vegetables most days. Fruit maybe once a week if that. For a while I ate a lot of cheese and gained a tiny amount of weight. I eat a decent amount of junk food (Ice cream, chips, kfc, mcdonalds, quite a few things with sugar, fat, sodium etc). I drink juice occasionally. I don't eat cereal. I take multivitamins, anti-fatigue pills which reduce my fatigue. I work night shifts so I usually sleep from about 5am-2pm. I drink alcohol most weekends. I don't drink quite as much water as I should.

Among those problems Iv'e had recurring bronchitis, pneumonia once, After running even a short distance I can't breathe normally for about 5 minutes and my heart pounds and beats fast. Dizzyness occasionally. That clicking sound in my brain occasionally when I walk.

I'm mainly looking for a solution to the unfocusedness, and all of that mental stuff. Anyone got any solutions?
|

replied February 28th, 2010
underweight
stevieboy,
I have the same EXACT symptoms as you. My doctor laughed and told me to eat 3 meals a day, i eat about 6 and am still hungry at the end of the day, it sucks.
|

replied February 28th, 2010
Those who haven't gained weight check to make sure nothing your consumning has chromium, like grapefruit as this is a natural weight loss choice. Also, if dark circles are common this is a sign of allergy especially air quality. Like mold in your enviroment.
|

replied May 12th, 2010
Most uber high metabolism you will ever see
Well i''ve been having the same problem kinda. I''m in 9th grade 5ft3 and weight 90 lbs. Even the neighbourhood 3rd graders weigh more than me. I''m in wrestling, and need to gain at least 13 lbs, and i''ve tried eating huge amounts of everything, and protien with citocine in them, but nothing worked. OVereating with the protien shakes only made me feel tired, and NO weight gain. Now the new season is approaching and I need weight and fast. My Body fat precentage is only 1.8%. Some other guy posting above me said something about 7% and u can be skinny. Well, 1.8% tells me 99% of my body is muscle, and skeltal system. Wheres da fat there. Write me.
|

replied May 17th, 2010
This one worked for my skinny self...
As far as gaining weight. This was the ONLY program that worked for me. Be careful what you wish for though. I'm now battling with trying to get my abs to show more now. I think I may have overdone the weight gain portion of this book and haven't been able to keep up with the fat burn portion. I'm 32 yrs old 6 ' tall and have battled with trying to weight more than 145 lbs. I'm holding a steady 155, and have been as much as 160... got freaked out when I started growing a gut.

How To Gain Massive Weight! Tips To Gain Weight for The Skinny Guy! (Kindle Edition)
by Randall Magwood (Author)
|

replied July 9th, 2010
Ongoing issue(anxiety/stress ect)
I have had an ongoing issue which I believe has been related to Anxiety.. (Beware this will be a long story)

I'm 25, almost 26, 5'7".. I weigh about 185lbs on average, goin from barely under 180 up to 190.

My issue started maybe 4 or so years ago when I was a hardcore gamer. I spent 5 hours minimum on the computer each day, drank a lot of soda, and my diet? let's say "not well".. After a couple years of this, one day, I started having bad dizzy spells. I shook it off and kinda forgot about it.. Few days later, dizzy spells again, then I got a headache that ended up lasting 3 straight days. I never used the computer at that time, other than to research my problem. I was afraid it was a brain tumor, some sort of stroke, or anything severe, related to my brain. After it went away, I wasn't too worried. I regulated my caffeine intake, and gaming. Seemed to resolve it. Okay.. so..

Maybe a month later, I was kinda back to my normal soda habit. I began to have chest pains, and was very worried it was heart trouble.. Turns out, Acid reflux was the culprit.

Another month or so later, after regulating my soda habit once again.. I go to bed one night, and feel my foot, and part of my calf on one leg go halfway numb and get tingly.. I tried not to worry since I knew I kept worrying over minor stuff.. So that went away after a day or so.. Then I was getting shaky muscles all over my body when I used them. Twitched every now and then, and then I had a few episodes over the span of a couple months, which my face would feel numb, and I would get lightheaded. Went to the ER one of those episodes, nothing was found to be wrong.

LATELY in the past few days, I had a lot of symptoms related to Diabetes, and Hypoglycemia. I DID have low blood sugar when I tested it, but that could have been my anxious fasting that day, I just don't know yet until I see a doc. It did go up to around normal range when I had some sugary treats.

I did a lot of research on migraines, anxiety, and pretty much every symptom I had. I came to find, that anxiety and stress can affect you in STRANGE ways. I also learned that I MAY have hypochondriasis, which my body makes up symptoms for something that isn't really there. Like when I had chest pains, I started getting numb and heavy in my left arm.. Recalling that night I went to the ER actually makes my arm feel that way right this second.. It's strange. The shaking/tremors has never gone away, however in the last 2 years it has improved a lot. The first 6 months of it was kinda bad. Now it's sorta hard to tell I do shake, since I tried to stop worrying about my health as much! Seemed to work well..

I just would like to sorta conclude that hypochondriasis, and/or anxiety/stress may be my own demise in this situation.. Maybe yours too? You might consider it. OR maybe anyone else has an opinion on me, also could it be valid for other people in this thread? I would love to try and defeat this "disorder" if that's what you can call it, and tackle my anxiety problems.

Thanks for reading. Lookin forward to a reply Smile
|

replied May 13th, 2011
Blood sugar or something else?
Lets see, where do I begin? I'm 26 years old. I have two children. With my 1st child I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. i was feelin tired all the time, no energy, I felt weak all the time. I was on medication for a while and it seemed to help me a lot. I got
Pregnant a second time and in my third trimester they wanted me to start taking medication again because my levels were not normal. So I was on meds again and stayed on them for a while after I delivered. A few months ago I had stopped taking the meds and had my levels checked again. Everything seemed pretty normal and I didn't have to start taking pills again. Well now I am feeling like I have low blood sugar. I'm about 115lbs as of right now. I was around 144 when I was pregnant. So I have lost a lot of weight. I have also been nursing my second child on top of all of this so it could have contributed to the weight loss. I have been trying to eat healthy. I rarely eat any fast food/greasy foods. I try to eat more natural foods. I have even given up red meats. I have my days where I feel great and nothing is botheringe with my health and other days where it can get pretty bad. I might wake up feeling weak and shaky and off balance. I can't think straight and i might also have trouble forming sentences. I find my self feeling really anxious, shaky, dizzy, racing heart beat if I wait too long to eat. I nurse so I know I need like an extra 500 calories a day and maybe I don't reach my calorie intake? I try to stay on top of it but some days everything feels like a blur. I just moved and i don't get to see my husband till august ( military) so I'm dealing with a lot of stress/sadness/loneliness. I don't know if this is also making me feel the way I am feeling now. I'm also feeling tired all the time. If I keep on track with what I eat and how often I eat I seem to be fine. I go see a doctor soon about this. I have always been a worry wort, it's who I am. I want to feel healthy and normal! Does it sound like i have blood sugar issues? If so I can probably get a grasp on how to handle it more carefully.
|

replied May 14th, 2011
Wow, this is amazing to read. I have similar problems. I can eat anything I like and it never shows. All my friends say they wish to be like me but its horrible and they simply dont understand. The problems I now have are allergies. I have had them all along but with age they are getting worse and my body is more sensitive to them. I am allergic to the protien found in cows milk as are all my children. Now at the age of 39 I cant even have a small amount of cream with a desert or in a creamy sauce for a meal without having side effects like IBS. I cant even eat a piece of chocolate without suffering. With this in mind I struggle all the time to try and keep weight on, before I just use to eat more cake or cookies or have some extra desert, no with no dairy its harder then ever. I am always grabbing for the lollies when I start feeling my brain wandering off, this helps but only for the short term, I feel like I am going nuts every day, clearly I'm not, after reading all this info, yeah for me.
|
Users who thank Catcat72 for this post: Kirrak 

replied May 18th, 2011
Hypoglycemia and weight gain
HELLO, FRIEND.

God, you have no idea how happy I am to hear other people have this. As of now, I am 19, and SEVERELY underweight and hypoglycemic. We're talking 120 lb, female, and 5'9". I can not gain muscle at all! And every day it's a struggle for me to stay awake and eat right. I've been perscribed behaviour alteration pills, like adderall, lamotrigne, lamictal, lithium, and sevral others. I no longet take them because of the super quick effect they all seem to have on my body. Like Hypoglyfukd, I have muscle spasms, tiredness and dizziness, I pass out often, I wake up in cold sweat, and my acne flares like demons from the depths of Hell (which it shouldn't because I take Birth Control and usually have extremely fair complexion.) I also get headaches and fail to concentrate on simple tasks. It seems like no matter what I do, and what I eat, I can not gain weight or muscle in any way. I've never had eating disorders, (which is the cause most doctors pin on me, and call me fine) and I feel like I eat constantly to stay alive. If anyone has food reccomendations for me, I'd LOVE it. I've tried to go to nutritionists for diet plans, but they all call me crazy for wanting to gain weight and make me run on a treadmill. I understand that working out is good for my body, but I can't go very long on any work out without passing out. Someone help me! I'm drowning in this flood of fat free foods and low sugar diets.
|

replied June 28th, 2011
I am 28, 5'11" tall, weigh 170 lbs, and feel tired and hungry all the time. I weighed 115 lbs up until my second year in college. I wanted to let people know that there is hope. I started working out religiously for a couple hours a day for 6 days a week and still did not gain any weight. Turns out I was eating too lean (chicken, fish, very lean red meat). I needed more healthy fats. I started eating 6 or so whole boiled eggs as snacks after workouts and lots of peanut butter and bananas and whey protein shakes. I managed to gain 40 lbs in college then hit another wall. I've stayed extremely active and started playing rugby. I decided to aim for 180 lbs and it has taken me 2 years of constant training to put on 15 lbs. But then during one month recently I didn't work out much the entire month, ate about 1 case of girl scout cookies (my weakness) and lost 3 lbs. I have tried to increase good fats in my diet from things such as avocados and free ranged eggs that have a better balance of good and bad cholesterol. I still notice fluctuations in the sharpness of my mind throughout the day. Eating a good breakfast (eggs, fruit, carbs, and a couple slices of bacon all home cooked) can sometimes help with this along with good hydration. Coffee seems to be the only thing that helps once I start feeling tired during the day, but I try to avoid more than a few cups a week except when I really need to be focused. I snack constantly throughout the day (mostly on fruits, veggies, nuts, and some junk such as chips), and usually avoid fast food. I feel like I'm fighting teeth and nail for every ounce of weight gain, but I am gradually able to gain weight though it doesn't help with being tired. However, when I make it a point to stay extremely hydrated for games and during the week I notice an appreciable increase in my awareness. I think a lot of people, including myself, forget about the importance of proper hydration for your body to function properly.
|

replied January 19th, 2012
When I was pregnant, I had many of these symptoms. I got fired from a job because I blacked out twice and had to go home. Wasn't feeling well so called in once. I got shaky and couldn't eat enough food. I had the routine glucose test which came back normal. I am 5'5'' normally 130lbs and got up to 190lbs so clearly I am A OK but the reason I am here is because my child that I was pregnant with, who is now 7, has been throwing up and complaining of headaches, stomach pain, low temp. That's as far as we got because he has a hard time telling what he is feeling. He has been irritable and mouthy which is not who I believe him to be and first thought it was influence of other kids at school. How could he not be irritable if he's hungry all the time. He got a blood test which came back in the lower normal range and they didn't make him fast for any amount of time. They told us if the test was normal he probably just has a fast metabolism. He is in wrestling and is known for his energy but after 45 minutes he is drained and needs food before he pukes. He hasn't gone to practice in a week but I was still up at 1am with him as he was puking. This all started when he was 4 and gets worse every year. So I am here to get as much info as I can so we get him tested the proper way and so we can find new ideas about getting this under control! This mom does not like seeing her child feel this way.
|

replied May 19th, 2012
hypoglycemia mostly overnight
I'm hypoglycemic at night. I finally figured out that the reason for my life long battle with waking up in the middle of the night around 2am and not getting back to sleep until 5am as well as being moody, depressed, irritable, foggy brain..etc..lazy, unmotivated.. It's all due to night time hypoglycemia. I like to eat and snack so I'm fine during the day it's just how the heck do I get through the night without having to get up at 2am to get a snack. If I don't get a snack (of say almond butter or cheese) within an hour I will be sweating and full of adrenaline. And in the morning when I finally get out of bed I will feel like I have a hangover. So I find if I eat at 2am I will fall back to sleep in an hour and feel good the next day. It's the overnight fast that is killing me. I do not like having to do this and would love to find out what is wrong with me/why I have this.. I was always underweight as a kid. I'm 45 and have the body I had in high school. You know what I find to help is working out/building muscle. I think I have had luck with this in the past and am about to try it again. It seems if I build my muscle and take a complete amino acid complex I don't get this over night hypo as bad. Actually I get to sleep until 5am and at that point I won't get back to sleep due to hunger. Eating before bed only gets me an extra hour or so of sleep. I eat absolutely no sugar during the day so cannot figure this out. I don't eat gluten either. I eat healthy fats and have been on this diet for a long time now. Anyone find a way to get through the night. Those shakes don't work although I do get an extra hour or two sleep from them. I also find my hypoglycemia is worse during PMS.. much worse in fact.. the only time I feel sick from it. So these are things I've figured out on my own. I don't go to doctors they are a severe waste of time and money. I did have a glucose test done once and of course it came back normal.. They don't do it right. They just want to waste our time and take our money. so my thoughts are healthy diet and find out what I'm lacking nutritionally i.e. vitamins/minerals and add amino acids back into my diet as well as getting to the gym to weight train. If this all works I will write again to let anyone else know who it might work for.
|

replied May 20th, 2012
Hey there.. Smile
I have the same problem too. You mentioned you never get physical exercise and are at your PC most of the time. Well, I think that is what the problem is. Without exercise your metabolism will not be regulated well. Try and get at least half an hour of good exercise everyday and you will see a lot of difference. I have tried it and I feel quite better.
All the best..
|
12 >>