Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia and Vegetarian Diet

Is it possible to control Hypoglycemia with a vegetarian diet? Reading through all these postings and so many books and articles on hypoglycemia, the standard diet is lots of protein and fats with some carbohydrates. No-one seems to be concerned about all the damage so much animal protein and fat is doing to their cardiovascular system.

I am concerned and have avoided all meat, all dairy products and most oils for several years now, except fish and egg whites, plenty of grains, beans, and vegetables, and I feel healthier. But I realize my semi-vegetarian diet is not sufficient for controlling my life-long hypoglycemia problem. That is why I am here asking if there is a way to control hypoglycemia with the kind of diet I am following. Maybe I am asking for the impossible, but any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 20th, 2012
In my life I have been able to control it on my vegetarian diet. I have been vegetarian since I was 10 years old and now a vegan and have still been able to control my hypoglycemia.

What I do is first make for sure I eat a good breakfast. Snacks are very important to me, I eat them in between each meal. Protein bars are very helpful, I love Clif bars. Also I drink vegan shakes which also help. Another important thing I've learned for myself is when I start to feel hungry eat something because for other people they can wait until "it's time to eat" but not me, which is when snacks come in handy.

Lastly remember that protein that you get from animals comes from what the animals eat, not their own flesh. Lentils and other beans are an amazing source of protein. Eating a balanced vegetarian or vegan diet is the important thing. I hope this was helpful! Don't give up!
|
Did you find this post helpful?