Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia and Surgery

How does someone with hypoglycemia prepare for surgery if fasting from 12:00 A.M. the night before in order to avoid problems on the day of the scheduled procedure? Are glucose tablets permitted? Please advise. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper KarinaSF
|

replied April 13th, 2009
My experience with surgery
I recently had major surgery and had hypoglycemia. For me, glucose tablets were not allowed. I followed the standard protocol. The doctors checked my blood sugar throughout the surgery. I recommend that you ask the surgeon these questions directly.
|

replied November 21st, 2009
Did you do well? I want a face lift, but I stay dizzy all the time with hypoglycemia--afraid I might not make it thru it!
Anybody know anyone that died during surgery because of blood sugar?
|

I had a major procedure to remove an insulin-producing tumor in my pancreas that was directly causing my low blood sugar. Therefore, my blood sugar was very carefully monitored prior to and throughout surgery. The surgery went well.

There are serious risks to having extremely low blood sugar, so please consult with your surgeon.
|

OH well that leads me to another good question. How did they find that tumor and what symptoms are you having-- I cant get the drs to believe me with this equilibrium problem I have had for over a year-- It is tied to food-- or no food--I know that it is related to sugar and they stick my finger and say-"You're fine"---I actually asked them to chek my pancreas and they didnt-- I am SO not a hypochondriac-- In fact,m I have waited till this summer to go to drs, but they are proving useless--Thanks for your response...Im glad you are doing well...
|

They put you on glucagon during the surgery if your sugar drops... i know that people whom they´re sugar drops they may get into comma, when hypoglycemia, and after that...then is death... But when youre in a surgery and theres this condition of yours, all the precaution for that are taken.
|

replied November 22nd, 2009
To diagnose an insulinoma (insulin-producing tumor), first you need to demonstrate that your blood sugar is extremely low (i.e. 30s/40s) on a regular basis. Then a 72-hour fast is conducted in which you are hospitalized, denied food, and your blood sugar is checked periodically. When your blood sugar is low or you have symptoms of hypoglycemia, a blood test is drawn for serum glucose, insulin, proinsulin, and C-peptide levels. The hallmark feature is that glucose is low while the rest remain normal (are not suppressed). The insulinoma can be localized by MRI, CT scan or ultrasound.
|