Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia and sleeping too hard

User Profile
I have been diagnosed with Hypoglycemia for most of my life (I'm 38 ). I have gotten it pretty much under control most of the time. Problem is that I go to sleep really easily (only at night) and nobody can wake me up without a really loud noise or shaking me. I have been this way for about 2 years now, but my doctor's office keeps changing physicians so I haven't had much luck getting answers. Anyways, When someone finally manages to shake or shout me awake, I am disoriented and shaky for at least 10 minutes afterward. Also, I have a thick feeling in my throat (just as I do when I "crash" during the day from low blood sugar) and I cannot speak words at all for almost an hour(also as I do when I "crash")! My speech is more like a gibberish or sounds. This is not only alarming myself, but my family. Can you please tell me if this is just one more symptom of my hypoglycemia effecting me at night or if it is something I should be looking further into? If it helps, I own my own business without any stress or hourly demands. I stress a little daily, but even if I have a tragedy or something heavy on my mind I couldn't stay awake and worry if I wanted to. Any help is appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2009
Community Volunteer
Those are some pretty common symptoms, I went through them. Sometimes I would sleep pretty 'hard' as you say and would be disoriented for quite awhile after getting up. The throat sensation is annoying and troubling at first, but nothing to worry about. Are you sure your diet is okay?
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2009
I can't really say that my diet is "ok" by anyone's standards other than my own. I do not ever consume anything sweet, natural or man made, until I have eaten protein foods. I avoid soda's and fruit juices. Occasionally I consume a glass of home made vege juice (tomato,garlic,onion,spinach). I do not eat any refined foods such as crackers, enriched breads, noodles,or chips. I can't say my diet is healthy, but it is what is "working" for me right now. I am afraid I am simply getting worse and I will be down to only being able to eat leaves and drink water soon. lol. I do have one guilty habit which is drinking coffee in the morning. I cannot speak, walk, and certainly not think, until that cup of coffee. Do you think this is my one mistake?
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Yeah, that's probably keeping you really, really sick. You can't have ANY caffeine for quite awhile, and maybe never ever again. The reason why is simple. The reason why you think you 'need the cup of coffee' isn't because of the caffeine itself, it's what it does to you. Caffeine causes your liver to release its glycogen stores, which in turns very quickly raises your blood sugar. This, in turn, is viewed as dangerous by the body and it keeps producing more insulin. This reaction is why many people think the caffeine is getting them going, when in reality it's the sugar released from the caffeine. I warn you, however, once you start drinking it you're going to feel really, really bad.
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2009
Wow! I have been using coffee to get me going for approximately 4 years now. I just cannot function without it. If I try something else in place of coffee, I will most certainly "crash" within a couple of hours. My whole day is ruined. I guess I knew it was bad to begin with. I just simply could not find a replacement. I seen another post where you stated that you have an avocado every morning. How do you fix it, and does it "wake" you for the day? I am open to suggestions. Let's get this thing under control again! Smile
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Oh, yes, and I made a mistake, I meant to say when you STOP drinking it, expect to feel bad. I never drank coffee, I just drink herbal tea. Did you read my diet thread called 'Hypoglycemia Rules an Diet'? The avocado seemed to work when I first started out. Supposedly the sugar in it is unique to it alone and suppresses insulin production. They really don't taste very good, though, but I would down one whole avocado every morning and it seemed to work. Don't do that anymore. I feel fine when I wake up, so I never need any sort of pick me up, but then again I was never part of that cycle anyway because I didn't drink coffee. I would drink green tea here and there, but mainly in the afternoon. The only way to really fix what coffee has done to you is stop drinking it, but be prepared for withdrawal.
|

User Profile
replied April 27th, 2009
Withdrawals are just another symptom to deal with. If it will help in the long run, then I am game. Thank you so much for your help! It is deeply appreciated. I will keep you informed as to how well it works for me.
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2009
Experienced User
When I'm woken up in the middle of a sleeping crash, I am cold freezing and shaking. Sometimes the jerky motions of my muscles is so intense that it seems like I'm connected to an electric shock stimulator at maximum power. I can't neither reason or speak, I know what I want to say but my words come out cut, separated, incomplete. Usually people freaks out when they notice it's 7.00 pm I'm still sleeping from the previous day and not even loud noise or light can wake me up, so they start slightly hitting me in the face or legs.

What I always say is that you know you have hypoglycemia when you have said for the 100th time in your life "definitely this time I'm going to die!"
|