Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia and menstruation

User Profile
I have a few symptoms that seem to point to hypoglycemia. I don't often have symptoms that bother me much or interfere with my life, except during menstruation. I have been told by my gynecologist that I probably have endomentriosis, but I have not had a laperoscopy, and hormone treatments haven't seemed to help. Recently I have been experiencing more and more anxiety and heart palpitations during my period. Does menstruation affect blood levels and can it trigger hypoglycemia?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2009
Hypoglycemia Answer A6839

According to the data you provided (feeling always hungry, morning anxiety that relieves after meal, lack of energy and motivation) you might be experiencing hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia is a condition in which the glucose blood levels are decreased. However, this is usually only a sign of another possible undergoing disorder.

No data can be found about the relationship between menstrual periods and hypoglycemia. The reason that the symptoms are more severe when having your menstrual period might be due to the fact that both the hypoglycemia and the change in the female sex hormone levels are able to cause mood changes, feeling of fatigue, lack of energy, etc.

You might want to visit your family doctor for a physical examination and basic laboratory tests that would also include glycemia (glucose blood level). If hypoglycemia is found, you might be referred to an endocrinologist for an additional examination in order to find the cause for the hypoglycemia.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hypoglycemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.