Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia and Gastric Bypass Surgery (Page 1)

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
Im just curious if anyone has been diagnosed with hypoglycemia at any point post roux n y gastric bypass surgery. If you have what have you done to control the hypoglycemia? I have probably about 10 episodes/year that im aware of possibly more that im not. Bought a glucometer so I can test my blood sugar when i think its getting low. Just mentioned it to my GP as I just bout the glucometer a few weeks ago and I know I'll need a prescription for the strips and lancets.. he now is thinking of sending me to a Gastroenterologist as hsi fear is what if my sugar drops dangerously low while I sleep.. Good point i thought. tho i have to admit i hadn't thought of that one..
Just trying to find others in my situation. Any responses are appreciated and welcome.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper gbeaudette
|

replied April 27th, 2009
Hypoglycemia and Gastric Bypass Surgery
I am 19 months post roux n y gastric bypass. I also am checking my blood sugar 2 times a day. I've had a few low readings below 60.I'm sure my blood sugar has been dropping for a long time. I have seen a dietitian to help me work on eating more protein getting back to my diet with less sugar. She thinks that when I eat sugar it raises my blood sugar and then it falls off, dropping to the low levels, 60's or lower. It has helped so far. There are many articles on the web regarding hypoglycemia and gastric bypass. Hope this helps.
|

replied April 23rd, 2011
my readings go below 40 and everything I eat or feel still messes up my bloodsugar and LIFE
|

replied June 26th, 2011
gastric bypass/ sugar drops
omg! thank god i can find someone else who feels the way I do.... my sugar levels can go from 300 to 29 in 20 min. and then I can't keep it up. I can not work because of it. I have been to all the doctors..and it boils down to this... it's a dumping syndrum. Cant be fixed... yes sugar needs to be monitored but the AMOUNT of food and how fast you eat it is the main reason for the drops. I am now a size 4, I was a 6 for 7 years (size 26 before sugery)... I threw fits, cryed, felt sorry for myself,etc. I wouldn't have done the surgery again...I lost my hair, I have to get iron infusions, give my self B-12 shots, eat vits. 4 times a day, pack my own food when I leave to go places...sure I look hot, especially after my cosmedic surgery's ... but I HATE feeling that low sugar feel.... i am tire of being sick...so if you would like for me to give you my daily routine I would be happy to. I had a drop today but we have company and I didn't pay attention to what I was eating, but on wed...I was so sick I couldn't even walk on my own..sugar would only say up for 20 min. Husband almost took me to emergency... so I know what to do and not do..it's just havving a support person to help stay on track.... chat later t-brat..Smile
|

replied July 7th, 2011
I need to know what u are doing!!! I have been fighting this for years now! I just found this web page. I'm so glad to hear others have the same thing going on. I thought I was the only one . My dr has mad be believe I had a tumor that was putting out insulin. I keep telling her it was gastric by pass!!! Diet is the key for me too! But I have been having MoRE trouble around my period!!! I would have never done this surgery if I knew all thus was going to happen. I feel like it is killing me now.... Is there a dr helping you?
|

replied July 8th, 2011
Glad to know it is not only me. I just got released from the hospital after a 5 day stay. I am 3 yrs out from the bypass. About 10 months afterwards, I would get really cold feet and start shaking. After a couple of these episodes I went to my family doctor and she diagnosed hypoglycemia and suggested endocrinology. I monitored my sugar and had glucose tabs in case of an episode. After passing out I finally made an appt last year. When thru some testing, meet with dietician and carry a shot of glucagon in case I pass out again. My sugar has been as low as the 20's. But after meeting with the dietician my sugar has been manageable until 2weeks ago. I ate my normal breakfast and had literally one bite of my daughters donut. Within minutes I felt nauseaus and sweaty (at work). My sugar was at 30. I finally got it up into the 70's and within 45 minutes it was 51. It happened again that night. For the next few days it just continued so they hospitalized me to watch me. I started a 72 hour fast to see what me blood sugar would do. Only near the end of the fast did my sugar drop from 70-85 to 56. I then was given a glucagon injection and drank 2 bottles of Ensure. In 15 minutes my sugar was 258. It took 3 hours to get back to "normal". It should have went back in 2 hours.I went home with instruction to eat a low carb diet. Dont know how many is low? Anyways, went back today and dr is putting me on acarbose. She says due to bypass I produce too much glucose. The insulin level and glucose level are not equal so this med should help. She also suggested some type of injections if that does not work. I am meeting with another dietician on Monday. It aggravates me that the drs act like I am exaggerating about my sugar levels. Another dr in the hospital even asked me if I had docmented proof of my sugar going that low??? I am grateful to see people posting thier cases here too. -kim
|

replied July 8th, 2011
NOVALOG INSULIN PEN has helped with my gastirc bypass BS
So, I have had all the same things going on! Im 9 years out, and in the last 3 years my health has gone down FAST QUICK and in a HURRY!My Dr. had put me on FAST ACTING NOVALOG INSULIN PEN.....this has helped with the highs and the low BLOOD SUGAR. i cant go from 300's to 30/40's with in an hour. Now i dont spike as high and dont drop as low....ASK ABOUT NOVLOG. See what they say.... it's not fixed the probelm but it has helped.
|

replied October 10th, 2011
I am 3 years into bypass and had two dramatic episodes of Hypoglycemia this week for the first time I can remember (BG was ~40 on both occasions). Got really scared with the possibility of a pancreas tumor. During my consultation with my Dr. today he told me this is likely caused by the gastric bypass. After searching the internet I got shocked to read similar experiences in this Forum. Hypoglycemia was never something I expected or heard-of as a side-effect of my bypass but I am certainly relieved that this is probably a side-effect rather than something worse. Interesting also to notice the pattern of the delayed onset. For most this appears to take a few years to kick-in after the surgery.
|

replied October 23rd, 2011
Gastric bypass hypoglycemia, dumping or something more serious?
Yes, it can be the result of gastric bypass. but your doctor may not be off base either. It is better to rule out everything. I am 3 and 1/2 years post op and is getting worse. Ended up in the hospital with seizures that would not stop. Now over the past 6 months without warning I blackout landing on my face. The last time I blackout going up the stairs dislocated my jaw and lower teeth, broke several ribs over my liver and had kidney pain because I no longer have enough fat padding to protect my organs from bouncing off my back. Now I fall asleep within minutes of eating my meals and I still the protein first rule and can't wake up. It happened again yesterday and took me over 16 hours to wake up. My doctors are of now use or help. I don't know what to do at this point. I feel like a prisioner in my own body. IF you have the insurance, and a doctor that is caring enough to find the root cause, even if it turns out to be Gastric bypass related, you wil know what it is and how to better to protect yourself. I guarantee you it is not dumping. I have dumped before and what I am going through is not even remotely related.
|

replied November 14th, 2011
Hypoglycemia in Post Opp Gastric Bypass Patients
My husband is 3 yrs and 9 mos post Gastric Y Bypass. He has been having extreme episodes (began Dec 2010)of what we thought was reactive hypoglycemia. Doctors were of no help as I discovered the problem myself through testing him with my fathers glucose meter. Doing reasearch on the computer is what made us believe it was reactive hypoglycemia. We at first were somewhat successful with a low carb/high protein and veggie diet. Unfortunately his problem has only worsened and now he has debilitating episodes weekly and daily. He has an appt with an endocronologist today. I encourage everyone who has an acute problem with hypoglycemia following Gastric Bypass to go to the Mayo Clinic Web site and key in: Hypoglycemia in gastric bypass patients or NIPHS. Below is the article that caught my attention. I have found so much info that is spot on. I have printed it off for his endo appointment today. I wish you all luck and pray that each of you find a solution as I know how difficult this is for you. This condition has truely altered our lives. My husband and I agree that if we could undo it we would! Article from the Mayo Clinic on NIPHS
Mayo Clinic doctors have recognized and reported on a seemingly rare but serious complication following gastric bypass called non-insulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome (NIPHS) or post-bariatric surgery hypoglycemia. After a person eats, this condition can result in very low blood sugar levels that lead to severe neurologic symptoms, including visual disturbances, confusion and (rarely) seizures.

Mayo Clinic doctors have evaluated and treated several patients with NIPHS. When medical and diet therapies do not work, surgical removal of part of the pancreas has resulted in marked improvement of symptoms for most patients. If the symptoms described above occur, patients should notify their physician immediately. Until this condition is controlled, patients should avoid driving motorized vehicles or performing tasks that could affect the safety of those around them.
|

replied July 12th, 2011
I'm 5 yrs post roux n y bypass and had slight hypoglycemia episodes before surgery. In the last 2 yrs have had significant issues to the extent I carry glucose tabs in my purse.

My endocrinologist stated that research has shown that RNY bypass patients actually produce more insulin post op. Therefore anyone with prior issues will worsen.

His recommendation was diet changes -- eat every 2h and increase protein. If that doesn't work, the next step is sandostatin (works on the GI system) subq injection.

I sure feel your pain. Try the 2h meals and higher protein. Hope that helps some..
|

replied July 19th, 2011
Lisa14,

I would love for you to post your daily routine. I am off work due to this and can't find a routine that helps. I am 10 yrs post gastric bypass and have kept off 50 pounds. Seeing an endo- diet only no meds- she says the meds will turn me into a diabetic and make me gain weight.
Thanks
Clia
|

replied February 19th, 2012
OMG.....that is exactly what Im doing and it is horrible....I feel for you and it is just as bad to have low sugar as it is to have high sugar.....i cant win for loosing with this stuff
|

replied April 20th, 2012
Hi, I know this post is almost a year old, but I am hoping you will see this. I have been having problems and as of today i am thinking i have hypoglycemia. I am 25 months post op and have been having symptoms for a while. plz, if it is not too much trouble, could you email me your routine and ideas. thank you Kim
|

replied April 23rd, 2012
Dropping sugar levels too
Same here--had my surgery in 2004. For several years had the drops about every 6=8 weeks..now it is a rare day if I don't get my 'head' feeling with numbers anywhere from 41-70. I can feel it when I go below 90. Had a pancreatic biopsy two weeks ago--all normal although there is a 1/2 in size tumor/nodule. My by-pass surgeon is sending me to an endo specializinbg in gastric by-pass issues. Waiting for the appointment.

Surgeon said this is really rare--he has no other patients with it.
|

replied May 29th, 2012
I finally say an endocronologist in INdianapolis who haxs dealt with many cases of low blood sugars resulting from gastric by-pass. She said they have since found that in the section of the small intestines that were taken out for a Roux-en-Y there are 700 gut neuropeptides removed. these are used to regulate the metabolism, dysregulate B cells in pancreas (reg the production of insulin, and regulates glucagon. They don't know all the exact purposes for the 700 but that they act like little hormones.

Now on low carb (90 a day) divided into no more than 15 at a small meal...with at least 8-10 g of protein with the carbs. Dietitian is pushing for 25 g of fiber daily and some good fat---all helps to slow down the sugar drops.

Three days now and so far so good. I see her again in 3 months. Took all kinds of blood work including Vit D.

She has had two patinets who had pancreas removed--shot them to full diabetic during surgery. Said unfortunately both are back to haveing the low sugars too.

Metformin at 1500 mg spread through the day works on many people but said many have nausea with that dose. Said there are two other meds--one has wicked side affects and they other is used to treat high blood pressure but seems to work some for this...mine is not high enough to use it. Severe cases need to have the by-pass reversed...she siad it usually works pretty well but many gain the weight back. So for now it is a low carb diet and trying to get a little exercise in.
|

replied December 2nd, 2012
You are not alone, this can happen any time after wls
It's not always dumping syndrome my friend. You might as well consider yourself a diabetic in reverse. Did any one tell you that even the simplest exercises can cause your insulin levels to drop? For a diabetic with high readings exercise can be wonderful in the right proportions along with you eating, but with someone with severe hypoglycemia for us gastric bypass patietnts and I am 4 years post op it is called Neurohypoglycopenia. There is no cure. Mine is so bad walking just to the bathroom and back or standing to cook a meal is more than enough to send my insulin levels spiraling. I am pretty much bed or chair bound and it does not matter how much and what combination I eat that this happens. It's so bad that I have hypoglycemic awareness and have passed out and have suffered at least 7 brain concussions with a loss of consciousness. My brain hasn't had time to heal from the first so each subsequent concussion has a cumulative effect. My heart rate nearly slows to the point of stopping while sleeping. Hypo attacks at night are common and I keep a emergency stash on my night stand. It's nothing to take lightly my friend. Any exercise you have done earlier in the day is still working to keep your insulin levels low. Had I been given a fully informed about Rny and would have remained fat. At least I had some semblance of a active life in spite of my size.
Don't let the doctors tell you differently. They take advantage at our expense. I still haven't been able to come up with the perfect combination and feeding schedule. It can happen to post operas out 20 years or 18 months. Any surgery done on the gut can cause this.
I am sorry you and everyone reading this post who maybe going through this or have a loved one that does. It has a name and a cause, and because it is such a big money maker the medical community those involved with procedure will lie and say there is only a 1 percent risk numbers can be fudged to suit the greed. There are forums on the Internet of others like myself and you. I will try to find the last one I read and post for those interested. Also what out for possible seizure activity. I pray for everyone's healing we deserve better than this. Take consolation that you are not alone. To my knowledge there are 20 Hospitals the Mayo Clinic in Michigan is one that knows about the condition and cause. You might have to do some arm twisting to get them to see you, There is such a demand, because there are so many of us, and it's a major money maker for both surgeons and hospitals alike they will do most anything for this information to get out.
If you manage to find someone to help you reversal of the Rny a tear down is not possible, you end up losing more intestine, and stomach both pouch and remnant stomach. Don't let anyone talk you into having your pancreas out. It makes matters worse making permenantly diabetic.
I wish there was better news. Hope this information helps. God Bless
|

replied November 12th, 2011
I have had reactive hypoglycemia about 1 1/2 years after my surgery. I was fainting and having seizures. I lost the ability to walk by myself and became house bound. It took a long time for drs to figure out what was wrong with me. They thought I had a rare neurological disease. After a few meal studies and tests on my pancreas they figured it out. After trying diet and several different medications. I had a feeding tube placed in my rement stomach I take 90% of my nutrients that way all my carbs that way and have felt great for 2 years! They were ready to remove most of my pancreas but my dr happend to read an article by Dr Tracey Mclaughlin at Stanford about the fault being the route of the nutrients not the fault of the pancreas. This is the article link. I encourage you to read it. http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/95/4/ 1851
|
Users who thank lisacin for this post: Jadeland 

replied March 22nd, 2012
tube for reactive hypo
Please tell more-I'm very interested in this. How are u know==how does this affect day to day life--how much of the tube sticks out etc i;m 11yrs rny post with lots of prob

thanks
clia
|

replied July 26th, 2012
I am 6 1/2 yrs post-gastric bypass. Started passing out with seizures 18 months later. Happened so often I lost my job. Went to Johns Hopkins participated in a study. They have found the cause is a gut hormone, GLP1, in the bypassed portion of the gut, which is why the feeding tube in the remnant stomach works. I had 85% of my pancreas removed before it was all figured out. It didn't solve the problem. I have irreversible brain damage from so many severe episodes of hypoglycemia esp in my sleep. A continuous glucose monitor is a life-saver.
Sounds an alarm whenever I go low in time to correct it. I am very happy to say I am about to get the feeding tube as well. I don't even care that I cannot eat much food anymore. I am soooo looking forward to a life free of hypoglycemia and hopefully no further brain damage. For those of you who are getting no where with your primary care drs, please see an endocrinologist and find one familiar with this issue.
|

replied July 26th, 2012
Had I known then (before by-pass) what I know now I probably would not have had it..at least until they figured all this out and a way to fix it...guess they no longer do the Roux n Y surgery. Hope this works for you
|

replied September 22nd, 2012
Feeding tube
Have u gotten the tube? I need details if so- is working--noticable- please let me know

Thanks
Clia
|

replied February 19th, 2012
I have been having blood sugars in the 30s and that is very dangerous. my surgeon told me that my pancreas thinks Im still heavy and has to produce that much insulin...this is very dangerous. I dont even feel it coming on till its in the 40 or 30s. Im relly not happy about this at all!!!
|

replied February 20th, 2012
I am about 3.5 years post bypass surgery. For about the last year I have been having hypoglycemic spells. I can tell when it's coming on, and I just eat some protein and the symptoms stop within minutes (I keep peanut butter, assorted nuts, and protein bars handy). I haven't ever passed out, or even come close, but I do start to feel weird, and kinda fuzzy in the head, I break out in a sweat and sometimes laugh or cry for no reason when it happens. All of the replies I've been reading here today make me a bit nervous that this may get worse. Right now I'm just trying to handle it with diet. I would not even consider having any of my pancreas removed unless it was an absolute last-ditch effort. Bottom line is, everyone knows their body better than anyone else. Listen to what it tells you. Follow a healthy diet, eat every 2-3 hours, something small. I have controlled mine fairly successfully that way. Good luck to all!
~Mona
|

replied February 7th, 2013
After years of research we found a dr that told us it was a low B1 (thiamine). Two weeks in...no more episodes. It is worth a try to see if it work! Can't hurt and has been life changing for us.
|

replied June 13th, 2009
hypoglycemia after roux n y surgery
I am seven years post roux n y gastric bypass. In January '09, I began experiencing low blood sugar episodes as low as 37, usually happening in the evening a few hours after dinner. The endocrinologist diagnosed it as late postprandial hypoglycemia. I am no longer considered diabetic (type 2). For the past two months, I have been taking arcabose 25 mg, taken at the first bite of carb at every meal. So far, no problems after meals. The problem, however, still occurs after I snack. For instance, last night I had some baked potato chips and fat free dip, and several hours later a 42 blood sugar reading. I will be calling my doctor this week to find out if I can safely take the arcabose with snacks. I do not know who is more afraid of this--my daughter or me. She found me dazed and incoherent in my home one night with a 37 blood sugar reading. I have forced myself to be more aware of the low blood sugar symptoms, although it sometimes comes on very quickly as it did last night. Not sorry that I had the surgery, but this is complication is not so nice.
|

replied April 23rd, 2011
With alll my complications I wish I had NEVER had surgery. i ended up losing the most on my own after anyway as the surgery was a mess and i went through too many medical comps from it. stinks and ironic. ate to much and paid, cant eat now. how ironic
|
Users who thank turmennebrat for this post: Eglyntine 

replied July 6th, 2011
I too am seven years post roux n y gastric bypass. And recently had a glucose test and was told I was hypoglycemic. I would shake so bad that I thougt I was having a stroke or sizure or even going crazy, I do have some anzioty problems but this made it 10 times worse. I had a real bad bout of shaking while taking the glucose test and they check my heart, blod pressure and everything and said I was fine. Just my blood sugar going crazy. So I now watch what I eat and when I eat and It's better. As far as the bypass surgery goes I feel if I had not had it I would have been dead 6 years ago. So my body is only doing what I paid the doctor to make it do seven years ago, That is to eat right or pay the price. I would have the surgery again in a heart beat.
|

replied March 1st, 2012
You know, if it was as simple as eating right then I would not have any problems with this whatsoever. Since day one of my surgery (which was 9 years ago) I have followed the diet they told me to follow. I do not eat a lot of carbs, sugar, fat, etc. Every time I did or do I have what they call "dumping syndrome" type attacks. But over the last couple of years I have been getting these attacks more and more and I am having to eat sometimes up to 5 times the amount of protein that I used to eat to make the attacks stop.

Within the last month and a half, I have these attacks multiple times a day and I have eaten more protein on a daily basis in the last month than I have in 9 years. The problem is the protein is not stopping the attacks. Some of these episodes have brought me to the point where I thought I was going to die. And I do not mean I wish I was going to die, I mean I literally laid in bed believing with all my being that any second was going to be my last one.

I am scared out of my mind to go to sleep for fear of getting one of these attacks while I am sleeping and not waking up. I cat nap in my recliner throughout the day in hopes that I can get enough rest to keep functioning but not fully go to sleep for fear of not waking up. I never HAD these episodes when sleeping before the last month and thankfully my brain kicked on at the right time and I woke up to gorge myself on protein in hopes of stopping it from hitting me full force.

In the past these dumping episodes would only last about 15 mins to an hour. Now they last for hours. And for anyone sitting here reading this saying to themselves, "Just go to the doctor if you think it is that bad..." I HAVE and they all either brush it off as being in my head or they chalk it up to my gastric bypass and do nothing about it. Because they know nothing about it and my gastric bypass doctors all tell me that what I am going through is impossible and they do not know what to tell me.

This is the first website I have come across where I have seen anything that describes what I am going through and I am once again blown away by the fact that so many ppl are having these issues and no one is doing anything about it.

So again, if this is "normal" then why do the doctors not just say, "Oh we knew this would happen and it is perfectly normal. Just go home and eat like we told you and it will all stop." Because it is not NORMAL and following the gastric bypass diet like we were told is not fixing the problem.

And knowing what I know now, and all of the medical issues I have had since the surgery and because of the surgery, if I had to do it all over again I would run as fast as I could away from that office.
|

replied September 22nd, 2012
BTW--you need to eat carbs with a little protein when this happens. Dr said 15 carb and recheck in 15 min
|

replied June 14th, 2009
Hypoglycemic Post-Roux n Y
I am a 51-year-old-female 18 months past roux n y gastric bypass and began to suffer sever hypoglycemia about 6 motnhs ago.
It is not uncommon for my blood sugar to drop to the low 20's at which point I cannot even see- just a terribly frightening white light in front of me. Afterward I always suffer a terrible headache.
These episodes can occur several times per day and sometime make me scared to drive a car or be away from home.
Have tried adjusting my diet in every conceivable way and simply cannot make any connection that seems to be consistent in the foods I eat. I keep glucose tabs with me at all times.
Now trying to convince my medical insurance company to approve a CGM- Continual Glucose Monitor that I will wear 24/7 and set the alarm to go off at a pre-set point. This would at least provide some warning.
However, while this is often approved for diabetics, it is not often approved for hypoglycemic patients as our condition has received very little attention.
Would certainly appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.
Thanks,
Jo Ann
|
Users who thank jamoser for this post: avonbymelynda 

replied June 15th, 2011
You need to go see an endocryologist.....any blood reading below 50s can cause a coma and it sounds like your body is not handling sugar well at all. It is VERY Serious to be in the 20s. ( I had bypass in 2005 and am now hypoglycemic edging on Type 2 Diabetes.) I use my CGM first thing in the morning and 2 hours after each meal. Today I will be starting Acarbose at each meal. After 2 months if I am not better my dr wants me to consider partial pancreas removal.
Please take care of yourself !!!!
|

replied June 25th, 2009
I have a question about the pancreas removal!!! I curretnly am suffering from a severe case of hypoglycemia post gastric bypass. My surgeon has advised me of a new study that proves partial or distal removal of the pancreas reduces the insulin level in gastric bypass patients to counteract this severe hypoglycemic activity. Has anyone else heard of this in this situation? I have tried everything from glucose tabs to altering my diet, but it's like a never ending cycle.......sugar drops, take glucose, gets normal, and then the process starts again. It seems my pancreas is producing too much insulin for my body versus the amount of sugar I can intake and ultimately is keeping my glucose level too low. It's to the point now I've blacked out and was later found in seizure like activiity, etc. I'm now being restricted from even driving.......I need some advice......anyone???
|

replied May 9th, 2012
I am 60 yrs old and 3 yrs post gastric bypass,had many medical complications,unable to eat and had a feeding tube inserted several times into my colon.1 yr later had a revision that left me with no pouch,but able to tolerate sm. amt's of food.Lost 160lbs,and was getting a hard time from surgeon,nurses,nutritionist about fast wt loss,like I could do something about it,Hospitalized numerous times fir infections,dehydration.18 months ago started dropping my sugars as low as20,diets and meds haven't helped.This past mon had 5 episodes within 2 hrs ,glucagon,juice,frosting gel,Greek yogurt ,nothing could keep it up,today saw my primary and she mentioned the surgery to remove part of my pancreas,also to go back to a feeding tube to try to stabilize hourly sugar levels.She is the only one trying to help me,my endocrinologist says she can't help,and no one else is helping me.I also have m.s.,which some docs have said has complicated my surgery.I thought I was alone in this ,now I know their are others.Thanks for this
|

replied May 16th, 2012
My by-pass Dr is arranging an appointment for me with an endocronologist who deals with after by-pass issues. She is 120 miles away but that is fine. Not sure how long a wait to get in to see her.

Send your info to the Mayo or the online services at Clebeland Clinic since they both have large departments in the field...that will be my next step.

Sorry you are having this isuuse so badly..hang in there. Someone out there can help.
|

replied June 25th, 2009
Response to pancreas surgery possibility
Dear jblanton,
I can certainly feel for you as I am at this same point.

I have been working now for nearly a year with the folks at the Mayo Clinic here in Phoenix. They have discussed a partial resectioning of the pancreas with me. However, they have done 70+ procedures of this nature at the Rochester, MN facility and have found out that the largest percentage of these patients still experience the severe hypoglycemic episodes. It's a nasty surgery to go through for slim results.

Have you asked your endocrinologist to prescibe you a CGM- Contiunous Glucose Monitor- that would monitor your blood sugar levels 24/7 and warn you when it drops to a certain point and you can get a head start on the correction before it drops too low.

Right now it is a hard sell to many insurance companies. It is often approved for diabetics- but as of now they have mnot seen too much need for its use by hypoglycemics. However, we are not the typical hypoglycemics that drop a few points, eat a bit of food, and feel better.

Best of luck- and keep me posted.
Jo Ann
|

replied June 25th, 2009
Jo Ann,

Thanks for the reply! Helpful info....I definitely don't want to go drastic as removing the pancreas and end up making things worse. I'm a police officer and if I can't get a grip on this problem, I'm afraid my job will be jeopardized. I currently am under a restriction for driving for the next six months, because of a "black out" spell I had in which the consulting neurologist said I needed to be monitored for six months to assure this was not seizure related. I advised her my history with hypoglycemia, but she will not back down from this restriction. Eventually, if I can't manage to control these weak, shakey, and "black out" spells.......I have no doubt I will be unemployed. I have a great general surgeon that used to perform gastric bypass that is working with me to help me through this problem. I'm sure he'd be willing to prescribe and help me fight insurance to cover it. He's not my original surgeon.....that's another story. One of those deals where they did the surgery, monitored you for a few years, and then drop you. It's like getting in to see the president to schedule a follow up with them, especially if there's a problem. Keep me posted on any info you learn. Thanks!
|

replied December 11th, 2011
Hypoglycemia
I too am a peace officer and fear I may be developing hypoglycemia post gbs. I never would have had the gbs if I thought this was a possible side effect. I want to reverse my gbs has anyone thought of or been successful doing that?
|

replied July 1st, 2009
hypoglycemia post gastric bypass
Hi All,
6/19/09 I suffered with non diabetic hypoglycemia during all 4 of my pregnancies, 2 ended in miscarriage. My last pregnancy was 18 years ago. i was fine until Monday 6/15/09. About 3 hours after eating breakfast my sugar dropped at work. My co-workers freaked, I managed to tell then i needed OJ, which they got for me, I stayed at work and about an hour and a half after lunch i dropped again, more juice, then a co-worker took me to the ER. Of course by the time i was examined " I was fine, there was nothing wrong" I saw my Doc the next day and she said... you know there really is no such thing as hypoglycemia, it is a precurser to diabetes or side effect of diabetic meds. She ordered a 2 hour Glucose tolerance test for the next day to look for pre/diabetes. after fasting 12 hours and drinking the glucose drink my 2 hour BGL was 54 and i was fading fast. She gave me some more glucose and said, WOW i guess it is real. Ive never seen it before. I go see an endocrinologist next month.
I am concerned because i had not skipped a meal or eaten anything high in sugar.
On Wednesday I started eating every 2 1/2 -3 hours, I check my blood 3 times a day, so far i have stayed between 75-95.
7/1/09 update. My BGL had dropped at least 6 times in the past 2 1/2 weeks. I usually catch it around 55-60. I check now before(big) meals and 2 hours after meals. I also check if I start feeling bad. so at least 6 times daily. Strips arent covered by my insurance because I am not diabetic. I have noticed that fresh fruit increases my BGL 160-200(feels like dumping syndrome) then it drops quickly. My sugar has gone from 88 to 181 to 54 to 70 in a 45 minute span. Sometimes i think it is the speed that it fluctuates as much as the degree. I have been to the websites checking post Gastric bypass( mine was in Jan 04).Trying to wait patiently to see the endocrinologist but getting tired.
|

replied April 23rd, 2011
this is so like me i had to check to be sure i didnt read it.. turmennebrat yahoo
|

replied August 6th, 2009
Take My Pancreas If You Want It!
I am almost 6 years post gastric bypass and have been suffering w/hypoclycemia since about two years ago, however, as of last Saturday, it's been really bad. Today I suffered two spells. I'm @ work and I'm totally out of it. I'm afraid I'm going to lose my job too. I don't know how to adjust my diet to control this. I'm at the point where if they want my pancreas out, then I'll do it. I almost passed out at Busch Gardens on Saturday. I thought I was having a heart attack because I had just ate about an hour before the attack, which wasn't high in sugar. So I didn't understand what it was. But I do understand the white light thing. It is very scary.
|

replied August 26th, 2009
I underwent gastric bypass surgery 3.5 years ago and have begun to experience hypoglycemic symptoms. I underwent a 5 our glucose tolerance test called by my endocrinologist and my glucose levels dropped into the 30's. Needless to say I was disoriented, sweaty, lightheaded, slurring my speech, and quite out of it. My own hormones kicked in and my sugar began to rise on its own. This process took about 4 hours to return to normal. I did remain at 50 for an hour and a half. All I felt like doing was sleeping. My doctor has still not gotten back the full lab results, but we did discuss this complication that some gastric bypass patients seem to have after surgery. I am quite worried as I have a high stress job and my mental function is not normal when these episodes occur. In addition, I seem to be experiencing them daily. I have just gotten a glucose meter (today) and I just checked my sugar. It was 90. Considered normal and yet I don't feel quite right. In addition, over the last year as these symptoms have appeared I sought the help of a therapist who prescribed anti anxiety medication as we thought I was going through perimenopause and was experiencing generalized anxiety. It seems that all of these anxiety symptoms can be linked to hypoglycemia. At this time I don't have any answers as the diagnosis is too new.. but I will say that the thought of living with this is scary. I constantly worry about being at work or outdoors, or worse-driving, and having an episode. I have been carrying quick acting glucose tabs and they seem to help, but they do cause rebound responses and I seem to be right back where I started a number of hours later. My doctor recommended a low carb and high protein diet as we sort through the lab results as they come in. I also want to mention that I have hypothroidism (no thyroid - was radiated), fybromyalgia, asthma, interstittial cystitis, and now hypoglycemia. I'm really not sure how much more of this I can take. This diagnosis has made me very depressed.. and the more I read about it the worse I feel. I guess, it's like with anything, the dust has to settle and you just have to explore what words best for your own body.
|

replied April 23rd, 2011
my test also hit 577 when being tested, and under 40
|

replied September 20th, 2009
Nesidioblastosis after RNY GBS
I underwent RNY GBS in Oct 2005. Developed severe hypoglycemia in 2006. Sugars into the 20's. In 2007 I had a calcium stim test which revealed my pancreas was producing 2 to 3 times more insulin than normal. Underwent the pancreatectomy in Dec 2007: had 75% of the pancreas removed. In 2009, I am doing okay. I still have episodes of hypoglycemia but my sugar doesn't go as low as it used to. Still follow a very low carb/sugar free diet....stick to high protein. If I do eat carbs or sugar, I have a drop and use glucose tabs to counteract...
I went to the University of Iowa for my care and surgery...
Please post if you would like more information!!!
|

replied September 20th, 2009
I forgot to add that a biopsy of my pancreas after surgery did reveal the development of nesidioblastosis....it is a very real and very scary condition to have. My pancreatectomy did not "cure" my condition, but it has allowed me to function normally and not be afraid to be alone or drive....
I was very fortunate not to pass out or have a seizure.
When I started my research into this, I was dismissed by many doctors but was finally taken seriously after I found an endocrinologist at the University of Iowa Clinics...
Don't let doctors dismiss you!!!!
|

replied October 19th, 2009
I have also experienced hypoglycemia frequently, almost every day, in the evening. I am 3 years post-roux en y. I find the best solution is to drink fruit juice, which corrects the problem within 10-15 minutes.
|

replied May 15th, 2012
DK
I had my surgery 2003. I started having my attacks about 2 year out. 1st they where easy to correct with juice like you said. Then over the years the keep getting worse and for longer periods of time.
I switched to the protein, nuts etc. The headache, dizzy, brain fog, is coming on even though I am eating six small meals. What I have not tried besides food choices is staying away from all forms of caffeine and drinking more water. Oh and try and stay way from laxiatives even when your constipated.
Co-worker is Hypoglociemic she has not had the gastric by-pass. She has it under control by the food. I don't know if this helps any one, but I am going to cut the portions down and see if it helps me.
Sample of what she eats, small bowl of oatmeal with and berries in it, along with egg white and spinach for breakfast. Snack turkey with on piece of cheese, another snack celery with
PB, and last snack small salad with chia seeds,tumeric, Waldenses Dressing, sugar free, fat
free,no caloies but a lot of taste. Lunch- Protein shack whey with vanilla almond milk. Dinner
mesquite chicken (white meat) from SAMs club and green beans with I can't believe its not
butter.
I will let you know.
|

replied October 19th, 2009
I think if you are having problems with hypoglycemia after RNY, you should go to an endocrinologist and have a mixed meal test done to see if your problems are being caused by too much insulin....
|

replied October 21st, 2009
Post RnY Hypoglycemia
Just saw a nurse practitioner to an endocrynologist today for post gastric bypass hypoglycemia. I think it has been coming on slowly over the last couple of years, but has recently become significantly worse. I am just short of 7 years post bypass and have done very well until now. I've have read a study out of Harvard about removal of the pancreas, but that was dated 2004. Has anyone read anything more recent? The nurse practitioner recommended low-carb and more protein. For those of you that are already following that, have you had good success with controlling your bgl?
|

replied January 14th, 2010
Hypoglycemia post rny and pregnant
I am 31 weeks pregnant and just a year post rny. I started having symptoms before I was pregnant and as my pregnancy has progressed, I went from 1 episode of low blood sugar a month to several a week. I feel like crap and I am SO done not sleeping, eating right, testing and still having these episodes. My levels have dropped in the 30's and I feel lightheaded, sweaty, hot, heart racing, muscle fatigue and shaky...these symptoms totally suck and I need some answers.
|

replied June 19th, 2011
Understanding
Same situation here. Pregnant but a year and half past surgery, had symptoms for hypoglycemia before pregnancy but did not recognize. Had many bs drop into 30's with little or no symptoms. May resolve after pregnancy, may not.
|

replied January 22nd, 2010
Low blood suger after surgery
I am 8 years post op and have had some symptems over the past couple of years. I thought I was doing ok but I had blood work done yesterday and got a call two hours later telling me my suger was at 37 when my blood was drawn in the morning after fasting overnight. I had no symptoms that I was low.
That is scaring me, I will keep you posted.
|

replied January 22nd, 2010
Well Im currently being followed by a great GI consultant and for me anyways there is no rhyme or reason when/why my blood sugar drops. Not related to what or when i eat etc.. So for time being i just carry a glucometer and some glucose tabs with me where ever I go.
It still happens every few months .. Least I have warning tho. I get all the classic HYPO symptoms and can catch it early.
|

replied January 31st, 2010
Gastric Bypass Reactive Hypoglycemia
I am nearly 7 yrs post gastric bypass surgery. For the past 2yrs I have been dealing with reative hypoglycemia. It seems to be getting progressively worse. I start getting very tired while eating. My blood sugars at that time are usually between 175-200. The fatigue and sweats are unbearable. Then within 30min -1hr (if I can stay awake and function) my blood sugar is below 50. It is really scarey. Seems to happen no matter what I eat. Once it got so low while I was at a work meeting that I had a shaking seizure-like spell. My work is really being affected as is my quality of life. The doctors aren't helping much, just that reactive hypoglycemia has been diagnosed.
|

replied February 5th, 2010
Post op rny 9 years. I have had reactive hypoglycemia for 3-4 years that im aware of. I have found that I can mostly controll it with glyset with first bite of food. I have also noticed that im more sensitive to blood sugar changes around ovulation and during mensus. I feel that my low blood sugars take about 3 days to run its cycle, meaning that if I experience a low that i am more sensitive to higer carb/sugar foods for 2-3 days. I use the carb tablets to raise a low sugar, suggested serving is 15g carbs or 3 tablets. I do not tolerate 15g so I reduce to 5g (1 tablet) then check blood sugar with meter after 10-15 min. Usually that will fix a low to a normal range(above 70). If I take 15g then I fall into the vicious cycle of highs and lows. The more lows I have reduces my ability to notice the drop. When I have good controll I can tell when im hitting 70. When I have bad conroll I dont notice im low until i reach 30's. My newest problem is my highs are going around 350- maybe pancreas is wearing out.
|