Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia and Fasting Risk

I have been doing research on Fasting and it seems to be an old time natural remedy to help remove toxins from your body and give your body a fresh start and attempt to help cure ongoing problems. I always have to eat every hour or two or else I feel dizzy and sick to my stomach and then can lead to fainting. I have fainted at least 5 times in my life, I am 23. The first time I fainted was when I was about 12. The past year I have all of a sudden had a huge decrease in health out of no where. I never had problems with my monthly, and now I get painful ovarian cysts from time to time. I also had mono about 3-4 years ago, which seemed to be the beginning of everything for me, my sugar problem was under control, never had any monthly problems etc. until I was recovering from mono, suddenly I catch every cold out there and I am now allergic to pollin, cat fur, dust etc, normal stuff. The ovarian cyst that had ruptured had me bed-ridden for almost 2 months, feeling very ill and in pain constantly, also, my sugar problem seemed to be horrible, I needed to eat every single hour. I use to get symptoms that would tell me "hey you better eat soon" but now I just feel I have to eat on routine basis even when I'm not hungry and its frustrating, I have to force feed myself, even when I feel like throwing up. I am now to the point where I get bad anxiety which is new ever since this has all gone out of control. Now I get panic attacks and anxiety when my sugar gets low and hits me suddenly and I get scared when I'm by myself, to the point where I no longer drive alone anywhere. I have completely lost control of EVERYTHING. After reading about spiritual and beneficial purposes of Fasting I am greatly considering it. But, I do not know if this is a bad idea for someone who gets low blood sugar? Could I be putting myself at a great risk? Or, is this a technique that has been going on for centuries and I should be fine? I want to get control of my life again, I want to lose the 10 lbs I've gained in this past 8 months of hell I've been going through with constantly having to eat, I can only imagine how I'll be in another year if I do not take control of my life again. I am 23 years old, weigh 125 and I am 5'3". I use to weigh between 112 and 115 before all this happened. Please advise me. What type of Fasting technique would be good for a case like mine? To be honest, I am so tired of eating, which is why I am considering Fasting, almost like a rebelion against my body, I want to quit eating and see what happens. protest
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper knchand03
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2009
Experienced User
My opinion
Fasting shouldn't be bad for people suffering with hypoglycemia.

Why? Because our body is perfectly able to maintain balanced blood sugar while we're not eating food. It's when we eat something that we mess everything up.

Of course your body can maintain balanced blood sugar until there's glucose in the blood and glycogen in the body. Eventually it will start converting body proteins (like muscles) to glucose. So long fasts are not a good idea.

I suggest you to read a book called "Eat stop Eat"

It explains how to fast by not eating for 24 hours twice a week.

It works like that: you eat your dinner on monday at 7 pm and don't eating anything (but drink a lot of water) until 7 pm of thursday. The you keep eating your normal diet for a couple of day and on friday (for example) you have your dinner and don't eat anything until 7 pm of saturday.

As you can see you're indeed fasting for 24 hours but you're never going a single day without food. 24 hours is long enough to provide the benefits of fasting (which include improved glucose tolerance, so it's a good thing for someone with hypolycemia)

People with reactive hypoglycemia have commented they felt good on the protocol.
It's very important to drink much water during the non eating hours. Sometimes brain fog can be reversed with water alone and people with RH tend to be dehydrated.

Buy the book as it's a very easy fast reading.
|

replied July 31st, 2011
fasting and hypoglycemia
As a hypoglycemic, I followed the Muslim way of fasting.No food or water during daylight hours.It worked well and I felt wonderful inner and outer benefits for a few years until I once where I was working too hard.I suffered badly irregular heartbeat and weakness for a week and could only lay flat all day until I recovered.I took advice and was told that it is forbidden to damage my body. If I took time off to fast and rested during the day I could probably just do it but it is impractical for me , so I sadly gave up fasting.Instead, according to the tradition I have to feed one poor person each day during the Month of Fasting.I felt I damaged my body and also my memory never recovered to it' s prior state. I made the same mistake by doing a 6 hour GGT test. it is very damaging and afterwards I did not know which country I was in ( I travel a lot) or where I lived or parked my car for an hour after.My advice, be extremely careful if you need to try fasting.Monitor your body well and keep a beaker of liquid sucrose or glucose handy in case it all goes wrong too quickly !
|

replied November 22nd, 2011
Fasting and Hypo
Hello! Fasting is extreamly dangerous for Hypoglycemia because your hypoglycemia because your body can't regulate sugar and your organs aren't producing insulin appropriately! If you fast, your body WILL go into shock, black outs included, possible coma. I am hypoglycemic and would love to try Dr. Cary Reams lemon water fast to heal hypo/diabetes, but I would ONLY consider it under medical supervision. If I don't eat for even a few hours, I'm in the hospital. A few days could be extremely dangerous. For you to post this opinion shows me you have little to no knowledge on hypoglycemia. Reader beware! Educate yourself further!
|

replied May 29th, 2012
I know this question is old, but I'm going to reply anyway for future readers.

If you believe you have a hypoglycemic disorder, do NOT fast. Consult a doctor for advice on fasting and the type of diet you should follow.

And to user: Niklas89, it seems that you have just skimmed the Eat Stop Eat book. It is a VERY good book, but it specifies that it is written for HEALTHY adults!

You said: "our body is perfectly able to maintain balanced blood sugar while we're not eating food". That's true for healthy adults, but NOT for people having a hypoglycemic disorder.

That's also not true:
"People with reactive hypoglycemia have commented they felt good on the protocol"

Brad Pilon has never written such a thing.

Just had to say it..
|

replied May 29th, 2012
No fasting if you have a hypoglycemic disorder!
I know this question is old, but I'm going to reply anyway for future readers.

If you believe you have a hypoglycemic disorder, do NOT fast. Consult a doctor for advice on fasting and the type of diet you should follow.

And to user: Niklas89, it seems that you have just skimmed the Eat Stop Eat book. It is a VERY good book, but it specifies that it is written for HEALTHY adults!

You said: "our body is perfectly able to maintain balanced blood sugar while we're not eating food". That's true for healthy adults, but NOT for people having a hypoglycemic disorder.

That's also not true:
"People with reactive hypoglycemia have commented they felt good on the protocol"

Brad Pilon has never written such a thing.

Just had to say it..
|

replied June 28th, 2012
hypoglycemia and fasting
The book by (dr. Relms) isn't written only for perfectly healthy people when one of the protocols are specifically for "hypoglycemics"!!! is to do this fast to cure them of hypoglycemia.. you need to do your research. It says that these people with hypoglycemia can be cured of this if they follow his advice. He even states that you 'may faint' during the fast.. But it will be okay afterwards.. He cured hundreds of people of hypoglycemia with is fast.
|

replied June 28th, 2012
ps. A lot of hypoglycemia have this because of a sluggish liver.. The fasting removes a lot of toxins as well as stones..etc.. this is how people are cured for the most part. I myself have liver trouble and it is the reason for my hypoglycemia..
|

replied July 1st, 2012
hypoglycemic
I am also hypoglycemic and fast once a month, i can only make it 4 to 6 hours without having to eat. I am only able to do this because i started following the Eat Right for your Blood Type Diet. Excellent book. After following the diet religously, i have lost a ton of weight, hypothyroid is better, no more migraines, allergies decreased, and can fast for a few hours whereas before I could not at all.
|