Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Hypochondriac worried about HIV

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
I have had a chronic sore throat for a few weeks now. It's worse on some days than others. I was sick about 3 weeks ago and just started to get better when this sore throat came about. I havent been tested for HIV yet, I plan on going to see a DR. tomorrow, but I can't help but worry. I've been dealing with some pretty serious anxiety every night thinking about it. I've been sexually active with different females but always wore protection. My worry comes from oral sex which was always unprotected. I don't know how to deal with this right now. I'm freaking out and I can't seem to calm down. I've been trying to get my mind off of it by thinking of what else it could be.. allergies, post nasal drip.. anything. My mind keeps coming back to HIV though. I don't know how I'm going to get through the night because I just want to get this over with. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else this could be so I can rest my mind a bit? I'm sure these are common symptoms with other diseases but all I get from google is HIV, aids and cancer

EDIT: I am typically on the receiving end of the oral sex. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Any form of sexual activity (including Oral sex) without protection, can increase the risk of having HIV as well as other STDs.

But the risk of HIV via Oral sex, is less than that of vaginal intercourse.

Just to clear any doubts and for your satisfaction, you might undergo a HIV antibody test, at least 4 weeks after the date of exposure, to have a proper and valid result.

I hope this helps.
|

replied May 31st, 2011
Omg you sound like me, except I'm a female and I had the same symptoms as you and I was about scared to death it was HIV. I however never had vaginal intercourse but I did have unprotected oral both recieving and giving. I looked all over the Internet panicking even more b/c everything pointed to HIV. I cried and all my friends say Im a hypochondriac. I went to the doctors and got tested for strep...negative. Omg I thought. Tested for Mono....BINGO! We have found our winner. I was diagonsed with mono yesterday. Maybe you too could have Mono it is highly contagious right now as well. But now I truly doubt it's HIV so I'm not going to get tested for it b/c they say that the mono virus can screw up a HIV test and have you panicking for nothing. Get checked out though. Test for mono first then Staph and if worse come to worse HIV. Hope this helps.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.