Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Hyperthyroid and Itchy Skin (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn what the thyroid does, and the characteristics of thyroid disease here. In this intro section, we'll also review types of thyroid disorders MDs diagnose....
Specific medical conditions can trigger thyroid disease. Learn the basics about causes and risk factors for thyroid problems here....
Learn the symptoms for various thyroid problems...plus know when to seek medical help! A complete list of thyroid symptoms here....
Can thyroid issues cause extremely itchy skin at night? I have a hyperthyroid and my arm will become so itchy at night that I cannot sleep. I got maybe 2 hours of sleep last night. This has been going on for a very long time. I asked my thyroid dr. what he thought and he didn't answer me. I had a "thyroid storm" 3 years ago and had extreme itchy arms then also. My dermatologist thought it could be something wrong with my nerve endings and my allergist tested me for everything and I have no allergies. I really feel this has something to do with my thyroid. Does this sound familiar to anyone out there?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Girl_Me
|

replied September 15th, 2010
Hyperthyroid and Itchy Skin
Yes!! I was only recently diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism, I'm told I have Graves Disease. I have been put on a medication called Neo-Mercazole and I have been on it for six and a half weeks now. About two weeks ago I started getting some crazy itching which started on my head and hands, now I get it all over my body and it seems to get worse at night. I have tried not using or changing all sorts of things; creams, face wash's, deodorant even my shampoo and conditioner. None of which have helped, my GP told me to take Telfast 180mg Once-a-day which helps a lot and try my best not to itch. My endocrinologist was no help at all, so I am just waiting to see what happens now.
Is this what people call a "Thyroid storm"?
It seems this is just the start for me, but it also seems we are not alone!
|

replied June 1st, 2011
same with me
hi friends, same with me too. i just diagnosed for hp and started neo-mercazole with beta blockers. in just two weeks i had very painful rashes on hands and foots. i suffered for at least a week. it settled down and conveted to itchy multiple bumps come every night and afternoon and goes off later.
any luck with you guys, please let me know.
ar
|

replied July 17th, 2011
I have had this disease for 7 years and now have this itchy skin! It is so painful because I can't help scratching...even my head itches. My doctor never told me that this was a symptom so I was scared but I thank you all for the feedback. Does anyone have bad muscle cramps too?
|

replied August 27th, 2011
yes Jazarrah itching is part of Hyperthyroidism.I have it too.And I have fibromyalgia too( generalized muscle pains)
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2011
Experienced User
you should concern with your doctor.
|

replied September 25th, 2011
Itching like crazy!
I have had tall cell variant thyroid cancer for four years and although I have three courses of radiation and have been hyer and hypo, his os the first year that my entire body feels as if it's itching and burning consistently. I am hurting all of the time. If anyone has felt this and found relief, please share! Thank you all for sharing.
|

replied October 7th, 2011
Itching, Itching, Itching!!!
I have had Hyperthyroidism for about 7 years now. When I first got diagnosed, I was told I was in a thyroid storm, as well. My symptons included: extremely jittery limbs (it was hard to shave, hold things, and drive, due to my feet and hands bobbing uncontrolably), I also vomited at least 3x a day and dropped weight like crazy, I often had severe hiccups (lasted HOURS)and extremely itchy skin.

My skin is itching again! I can't sleep, I just scratch and scratch & scratch! Wish there was relief!
|
Users who thank HezMyJoy for this post: LuluValentine 

replied March 2nd, 2012
What should the Endo Doc test before treatment?
Just diagoned with hyperthyroid/graves disease. Have a history of chemical sensitivity. Have had throat pain before. My family has a known history for thyroid disorder linked to the immune system. Many of us have exzema and some idiopathic urticaria. Diabetes and heart disease also runs in the family. I'm ITCHY too!!!
I feel that the acceptable treatment of thyroid disorders needs to be improved with new research. Going to see an Endocriniologist for the first time tomorrow. Should I have the Endo Doc check my pituitary gland, hypothalamas, adrenal gland before accepting some medications?
|

replied April 18th, 2012
I was itchy too...
I have been extremely itchy too and once got up and went to the hospital in the middle of the night. I had had enough. Surely enough, I was prescribed phenergan , which I now take just before going to bed. I am also on neo-mercazole and beta-blockers. My doctor says I have Hashimoto's disease and that I am going through the over-active thyroid phase.. The itchiness is better now and so I look forward to getting my life back. Good luck to you all and may Goss bless you!
|

replied May 30th, 2012
Hyperthyroid ITCHING
I thought I was going to lose my mind with this itching thing, thinking it was just me. I was diagnosed back in 2008 after suffering severe loss and stress. I too the meds for about a year, and then weaned myself off. I itch beginning in the late evening and throughout the night. I at first thought it was allergies, but reading these answers lets me know that it's not. I did not have the surgery, nor do I take any more meds. I just had my thyroid tested 3 months ago and the level was normal, that was after being off the meds for 6 months. However, the itching has increased. There is no real help for this, is there?
|

replied June 2nd, 2012
Re: Hyperthyroid and Itchy Skin
jpower wrote:
Can thyroid issues cause extremely itchy skin at night? I have a hyperthyroid and my arm will become so itchy at night that I cannot sleep. I got maybe 2 hours of sleep last night. This has been going on for a very long time. I asked my thyroid dr. what he thought and he didn't answer me. I had a "thyroid storm" 3 years ago and had extreme itchy arms then also. My dermatologist thought it could be something wrong with my nerve endings and my allergist tested me for everything and I have no allergies. I really feel this has something to do with my thyroid. Does this sound familiar to anyone out there?

i am experiencing the same thing, i have hypokalemia and hyperthyroidism, i am having trouble with my sleep because of the severe itch on my arms every night
|

replied June 28th, 2012
Itchy
I'm glad I found these answers, I was beginning to think all sorts, I recently came out of hospital having had Thyrotoxic storm, it caused my heart to fail. I'm ok now and feel 100 percent, but started with the itching, going to see my doctor tomorrow, if I find one thing that helps, I will post.
|

replied July 2nd, 2012
HYPERTHYROIDISM
It's comforting to know I'm not alone. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and had a radio-iodine uptake, which do not seem to work. My doctor put me on Methimazole, and that's when the itching began. it's mostly in my legs and it keeps me up at night. Sticking my feet in an icy cold shower seems to offer temporary relief. I suspect the doctor will want to put me on an alternative medication-PTU. I don't think I'll let him do it. The FDA has warned that the drug can result in liver failure and death. I'd rather have a second radio-iodine uptake, but this time with a larger dose. I don't mind losing my thyroid, and developing hypothyroidism. It can be treated with a life-tie hormone replacement . My thyroid has given me so much trouble I would just as soon lose it. I also developed A-fib as a result of hyperthyroidism. My cardiologist said he could intervene and bring my pulse back into sinus, but he won't do anything until my thyroid is under control, one way or the other.
|

replied July 2nd, 2012
HYPERTHYROIDISM
It's comforting to know I'm not alone. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and had a radio-iodine uptake, which dose seem to work. My doctor put me on Methimazole, and that's when the itching began. it's mostly in my legs and it keeps me up at night. Sticking my feet in an icy cold shower seems to offer temporary relief. I suspect the doctor will want to put me on an alternative medication-PTU. I don't think I'll let him do it. The FDA has warned that the drug can result in liver failure and death. I'd rather have a second radio-iodine uptake, but this time with a larger dose. I don't mind losing my thyroid, and developing hypothyroidism. It can be treated with a life-time hormone replacement . My thyroid has given me so much trouble I would just as soon lose it. I also developed A-fib as a result of hyperthyroidism. My cardiologist said he could intervene and bring my pulse back into sinus, but he won't do anything until my thyroid is under control, one way or the other.
|

replied October 13th, 2012
For me too
I'm senthil. I'm too suffered with this. but i think this is caused because of working hard, like walking above 1km causes this. wait for 1 or 2 days at home without work or walk and give me a response. for the past two weeks i'm checking this. lets see how could we control this on other ways too.

Ssenthilnath
|

replied May 3rd, 2013
multi nodular thryoid hyperthyroidism itching
I had a spinal ct the other day as have had tingling down my arm from a shoulder injury. doc did a spinal ct jsut in case (cervical). It incidently showed multinodal goitre - of which I know nothing as I am brand new with this. she did bloods and showed low THS. I then had ultrasound which only confirmed CT findings. next week have an iodine scan to see if hot or cold - weird but I am slowly finding out what the hell that means too! she then did another blood as said the tsh might be low case the T-4 is too high????? due to maybe hot nodules. but then tells me she hopes they are hot and not cold as cold could mean cancer???? anyway, cut a long story short I have suffered EXTREME almost sending you mental itching, always only EVER of a night when in bed. starts of lower legs, will claw and claw utnil I break the skin, then the irch just seems to spread everywhere with no relief. I get up in frustration and sometimes dont bother going back to bed. Its a nightmare.
Im confused about one thing though, when she said TSH was low, I thought that meant low thryoid eg hypo, but she is saying suggests hyper???? she did say that with the bloods and ultrasounds need urgent referal to endocrine.
what the heck does all this mean?
I have read a lot about thyroid last few days and the more I read the more I think that maybe I have had syptmoms for years. EXTREME itching night time (yet skin doesnt seem over dry), bad depression that no antidepressant seems to have touched, swinging with diarriah/constipation.
if any of this sounds familiar, tell me!
last question, apparently the treatment for either end result ie malignancy or hyperthyroid due to multinodular, is radioactive iodine. I have kidney disease, does anyone know if this is safe????
|

replied May 3rd, 2013
multi nodular thryoid hyperthyroidism itching
I had a spinal ct the other day as have had tingling down my arm from a shoulder injury. doc did a spinal ct jsut in case (cervical). It incidently showed multinodal goitre - of which I know nothing as I am brand new with this. she did bloods and showed low THS. I then had ultrasound which only confirmed CT findings. next week have an iodine scan to see if hot or cold - weird but I am slowly finding out what the hell that means too! she then did another blood as said the tsh might be low case the T-4 is too high????? due to maybe hot nodules. but then tells me she hopes they are hot and not cold as cold could mean cancer???? anyway, cut a long story short I have suffered EXTREME almost sending you mental itching, always only EVER of a night when in bed. starts of lower legs, will claw and claw utnil I break the skin, then the irch just seems to spread everywhere with no relief. I get up in frustration and sometimes dont bother going back to bed. Its a nightmare.
Im confused about one thing though, when she said TSH was low, I thought that meant low thryoid eg hypo, but she is saying suggests hyper???? she did say that with the bloods and ultrasounds need urgent referal to endocrine.
what the heck does all this mean?
I have read a lot about thyroid last few days and the more I read the more I think that maybe I have had syptmoms for years. EXTREME itching night time (yet skin doesnt seem over dry), bad depression that no antidepressant seems to have touched, swinging with diarriah/constipation.
if any of this sounds familiar, tell me!
last question, apparently the treatment for either end result ie malignancy or hyperthyroid due to multinodular, is radioactive iodine. I have kidney disease, does anyone know if this is safe????
|

replied May 22nd, 2013
Thyroid itch
I itch like crazy all over. My only relief is to use stinging HOT water applied using a hand held shower device on the affected parts (Legs, arms, back, stomach)passing quickly back and forth, as hot as I can stand. I get 8 to 10 hours of relief.
|

replied May 29th, 2013
Aveeno anti itch body wash (light green) and layers of cocoa butter. I had my first night of relief a few days ago...i actually slept tnrough the night!
|

replied July 23rd, 2013
I am on 125 micrograms of levothyroxine a day and also really suffer from the itching it starts like heat rash then turns into bumps under the skin some with white heads it sends me mad I have to get up in the night and put cold flannels on my skin that helps for 5 mins I have found the Aveeno shower wash helps a little and the cocoa butter also when it gets really bad I use germoline that does numb it quite a bit
|

replied October 8th, 2013
I suffer from forearm itch on both arms, I'm in remission with Graves disease, have been for 3 years, my levels swing back and forward within range, I can tell when they swing to top end and bottom end of the range because my arms start to itch so much mainly at night, it gets so bad I draw blood and my skin goes lumpy with small spots that break out through the scratching. My GP dismisses this as thyroid related, it started a year before I was diagnosed, how can GPs dismiss this...As for sleep like a lot of people this itch causes my about 2/3 sleep a night, I'm constantly using stain remover on my bedding because I'm scratching durring my sleep and thus makes the arms bleed and gets rubbed off on the sheets.
|
12 >>