Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia?

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
Hi I had a prolonged glucose tolerance test, some of my readings were as follows. What would cause my blood sugar to rise from 3.6 mmol fasting, to 11mmol at 1 hour, 8.7 mmol at 2 hours and 3.3 mmol at 5 hours. I have experienced hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia, the test was stopped at 5 hours.? I would appreciate any help. thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 7th, 2010
Sorry I forgot to convert the results into USA figures.
My results were:
Fasting: 64
1 hour: 198
2 hours: 157
5 hours: 59
I would appreciate any help
Am I diabetic?
Thanks
|

replied September 20th, 2010
Detail about Hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia.
Hypoglycemia occurs when your blood glucose (sugar) level falls too low. The causes of hypoglycemia are usually related to too much diabetic medication, the inability to eat for whatever reason or a sudden increase in activity/exercise without increased calories. A person may also have a hypoglycemic episode due to a tumor within the pancreas or liver that causes a sudden release of insulin.

Hyperglycemia is when your blood glucose levels are high. Most of the time this can be managed by taking some medicaion or exercising, but when they get too high it can lead to a hyperglycemic hyperosmolar coma in Type II diabetics and Diabetic Ketoacidosis in Type I diabetisc. Causes are related to lack of insulin or excessive intake of food or alcohol. Infection can also trigger hyperglycemic episodes due to the body’s reaction to stress.
|

replied September 22nd, 2010
Thanks for the information. Do I have hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia based on my results?
What do think has caused this blood sugar curve?
Thank you
|

replied March 7th, 2011
I had a spike at the beginning of my 5 hour test- 168 and went a few hours later under 60. My doctor called me pre-diabetic and reactive hypoglycemic.
|

replied March 7th, 2011
Me too, I have since started taking metformin and it is fantastic, I have my life back, I eat carbs, exercise and have lots of energy, its a miracle drug. I recommend you ask your doctor to start it if you haven't already.
The metformin stops the initial spike in blood glucose and increases insulin sensitivity so that the insulin release after carbs is no longer delayed.
I hope this helps to all those who are suffering from reactive hypoglycemia, it doesn't have to be controlled through low carb dieting
|
Quick Reply