Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

Hyper Saline 7% in my nebulizer, coughing up blood

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
User Profile
I am concerned about a new treatment I started. I began Hyper Saline 7% in my nebulizer to use while doing CPT treatments to help me cough up the mucus settling in my lungs. While I was doing the treatment I was coughing really hard and thought alot of mucus was about to come up but I was coughing up blood. Im not sure why this happened. Could it be that the blood has settled in my lungs and the saline forced it up, or could I have busted a blood vessel coughing? It was dark if that means anything. It was just scary so I wanted advice on this. Thannks!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2012
Asthma Answer A33475
Welcome to e health forum.

Severe intensity of coughing can cause excessive negative pressures within the respiratory tract, and this can cause mucosal tears and hence the blood in the mucus.

In case this was a single episode and has now stopped, then taking rest and inhaling steam should help you get some relief.

In case the coughing is persistent, and there is continuous blood in the mucus, then you should immediately seek medical attention and proper help.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.