Medical Questions > Cancer > Liver Cancer Forum

Husband has liver cancer due to cirrhosis

Must Read
The liver is the largest organ of the body. What happens when liver cells start to overgrow? What types of liver cancer can develop?...
Most of the time, liver cancer does not originate in the liver but has spread from other parts of the body. Learn what puts you at risk of this serious disease....
Symptoms of liver cancer may go unnoticed in the early stages of the disease. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of cancer here....
My husband after seeing numerous doctors and going to the University of Washington have told us they can do nothing. He has no symptoms and we only found out about the cancer when he went for blood work one day. From there they saw something that led to biopsies along with a lot of other tests which also showed he has pulmonary hypertension. They say due to the fact he was in good health otherwise that it was better to do nothing. They said with a liver transplant he would not even make it off the table. He has not drank in 20 years but they say putting chemo into the liver would be like drinking again and his health would drop dramatically. We were even told there was no point in following up for appts because it would only stress us out. So we figured we would at least go in to see the oncologist once a year which won't be till Oct. But my step mothers husband had died of liver cancer and says at some point he just started getting crazy and angry with all kinds of accusations and stuff that just didn't make sense. I know everyone is different, but my husband has started getting angry all the time, to the point of screaming and even to where I even think he might throw a swing at me which he has not done to me in the 20 years we have been together. He will not have a conversation and if he does, it is one sided. He will not listen to me. He argues about all kinds of little stuff that means nothing. Does anyone know if this has anything to do with the liver cancer maybe starting to spread even more. They have already found 8 or 9 spots when he was checked. Please someone help me? SB
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2011
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

I am sorry to hear about your husband’s condition. Liver cancer as such will not cause anger etc. However often there is cirrhosis and liver dysfunction which causes brain fog and behavior problems. Other possibility is metastasis to brain. It can also be due to stress associated with the diagnosis. A person who has been so fit all his life, will naturally feel frustrated and angry.

I suggest you try for an earlier appointment with the oncologist and consult a counselor too. Also the treatment of liver cancer is only transplantation and other treatments like chemotherapy and radiotherapy have really no role. I understand the situation is pretty tough to handle and you are doing your best. But you need to be calm and do something to overcome the stress of diagnosis both for yourself and your husband (yoga, deep breathing, some hobby, counseling). Hope this helps. Take care!
|

replied June 12th, 2012
Cirrhosis of the liver is a condition in which normal liver tissue is replaced by fibrous scar tissue. It hampers the normal functions of the liver, and, if not treated on time, leads to loss of liver functions. The most common causes of Liver Cirrhosis are excessive alcohol consumption and Hepatitis C virus infection. This condition does not produce any signs or symptoms unless the disease has progressed considerably and liver functions start getting affected. Although it is an irreversible condition, further progression can be arrested if detected and treated in a timely manner.

It can lead to potentially life-threatening conditions. Chronic alcoholism is the primary cause of cirrhosis in the United States.

Allopathic treatments for Cirrhosis of the Liver include diuretics to address edema and ascites, large amounts of ascitic fluid may be drained from the abdomen with an incision. Oral antibiotics may be prescribed to prevent infection.
The resonance homeopathic remedies and advanced biotechnology Liver Cirrhosis therapies like OM 17, TELI Eco Liver, T15 - Liver Liquescence, LPS2 Herbal Hepatox, HHD - Hepaticol Drops are traditionally believed to work on normal structure and function of Liver by reminding it off optimal function and support Liver with its natural process of detoxification.
The herbal combination like Cap Cytozen and Tab Livomyn are comprehensive Ayurvedic formulation consisting of herbs that may have hepato-protective and antioxidant properties, according to traditional Ayurvedic principles and believed to support optimal Liver functions.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.