Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Genetic Disorders Forum

Huntington's Chorea. I want to have a baby

I was diagnosed with Huntington's Chorea Disease. My mother passed away at 41 years old, 2 years ago from it. I watched her slowly dying for more then half my life. But I am so blessed to of gotten as long as i did with her in my life, and I am so happy to be here. My parents said they would not of had me and my sister if they weren't mis-informed about the percentage of people that get H.D. But my sister doesn't not have the disease, just me. My husband and I would like to have a family, and my family Dr. has high hopes that there will be a cure very soon. And it make me hopeful, as well as my Dr. telling me by the time I was 30 years old that there would be a cure. I am 22. I have no symptoms, or signs. Im healthy and happy. I know its a personal choice, but what would you do? what do u think?
K.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 11th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Here are some excellent resources on eHealthForum which may help you:

Symptoms of likely depression
Symptoms of IBS
Symptoms?
Symptoms of MS ??
Symptoms
Symptoms of Mesothelioma

replied July 11th, 2011
Well, I'm going through a similar struggle. My husband was diagnosed as being a carrier of the mutated gene and will eventually get Huntington's disease. We are deciding what to do as we would still like to have a child. We just met with our genetic counselors Friday and are choosing the route of IVF (in vitro fert) with PGD (preimplantation genetic diagnosis). The way this works is that your eggs are harvested and the father's sperm are combined to form embryos. Once the embryos reach 8 cells, one cell is removed and tested for Huntington's. Then only the non-Huntington's embryos are used for implantation. So you are basically guaranteed not to pass on this gene. It is expensive and can be emotionally difficult since it does involve hormone shots and the likelihood that it may not take, but if you want a baby it's worth it isn't it? There are other options (adoption, in vitro diagnosis, etc) which you can consult your genetic team about.

Months ago when my husband was going through the testing process I posed a similar question on this forum and got a very insensitive comment in return. I and I'm sure you, understand what choosing to have a child means and all the implications that come with having a parent with the disease. Make the best decision for you.

Best of luck,
Frances
|