Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Hungry after vegetarian meals ?

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
I was a vegetarian for 11 months, but the reason why I stopped was because I began eating bigger portions. The salads didn't feel me up once I started working harder and I noticed my hunger increased. Peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches became a popular meal. In fact, before I was a vegetarian I hadn't had a pb&j since I was 10 and I would actually crave peanut butter. I'm 16 and live with my parents and they are big meat eaters. Well, with chicken and sometimes steak. I enjoyed being a vegetarian when I had a variety of things to fill me up like pasta,salads,nuts,beans, vegetable soup, and some breads. When I started working out harder that's when I noticed vegetables and fruits didn't cut it. I went back to light meats with low fat. I went back to smaller portions again with fish or chicken. Has anyone ever gone through this? I thought it was odd when I began craving peanut butter and sometimes bread. I have always eaten bread, but not like every day. Same with peanut butter. It became an everyday thing. Was I just not eating enough protein? I'm not a slim person by far, but more of a muscular build and stay active. Are people normally full when eating a vegetarian meal? I thought fiber was suppose to fill you up and clean out your system. It certainly cleaned me out, but I would get hungry in a matter of hours.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Mame
|

replied January 7th, 2009
Supporter
Your body is pretty smart. It identifies a lack of nutrition in your diet, ie not enough protein for you to work out, and causes you to crave those things to replenish itself.

Your particular problem, if you still want to be a vegetarian, can be managed by, obviously, eating more protein. You can try nuts, cereals, lentils, beans. Some vegetarians I know eat eggs.

Of course, if you want to get buff quick, a balanced diet of carbs, proteins and fats will most efficiently give you the best results.
|
Users who thank Mame for this post: DreamFable 

replied May 9th, 2011
reasons why your still hungry
Hi. There could be several reasons why you are still hungry after eating a vegetarian meal. Our body craves food for its nutrients. Many times vegetarians are still cooking their foods which kills many if not all the enzymes your body needs to digest your food properly and the high heat also changes the structure of the food thus changing it from it natural state, even though you are still eating what people would consider a "healthy meal". Raw is the healthist and best for your body. If your food is not being digested properly you are not receiving all of the nutrients your body needs thus your body craves more food aka nutrients. Also if you are not including enough healthy oils such as olive, safflower,and oils from nuts, etc it will cause a hungry sensation. I eat alot of raw fruits and veggies and include a bit of nuts. Try eating more raw veggies and fruits, the quickest and easiest way for your body to assimilate the nutrients and to get them all down is by making a smoothie. I'm to the point where I drink about a gallon of veggie/fruit smooothie per day. They are great meal replacements and give you a great boost of energy. I hope this helps you. Take care.
|

replied February 23rd, 2009
Protein Protein Protein
I definitely know what you are talking about. I actually went through the EXACT same thing when I was vegetarian for almost a year. At first I was following a low fat diet with lots of greens and healthy grains and towards the end I too started eating less good for you foods and larger portions. I just never felt satisfied. I would be hungry so soon after eating a huge meal even if it was filled with protein. I started snacking on nuts and still not satisfied. I'd be hungry within an hour of my meals and have sugar cravings almost right after eating. I couldn't continue as a vegetarian towards the end because my cravings for meat, particularly steak, got so strong.

I started seeing an acupuncturist for other reasons (fatigue) and spoke with a nutritionist and they both recommended I eat red meat. As soon as I started eating beef (organic variety!) I felt a huge difference in my energy levels and satisfaction. I no longer get sugar cravings and have actually been successful at cutting out refined sugar from my diet! The nutritionist told me these two things were linked. Anyway long story short I feel so much better now if I make sure I have protein at every meal. That means not oatmeal for breakfast but eggs! Lunch is meat (red meat really does it for me as opposed to chicken) with greens and dinner is some kind of legumes and rice for complete protein with veggies! What Mame said about balance is totally true but some people need more protein. I know this because I have tried going back to a vegetarian diet since and all those symptoms reoccured. It just doesn't work for me! I am definitely a protein type!!
|

replied February 23rd, 2009
nice to know
it's nice to know i am not the only one who actually went through this. i felt so stupid that i would crave peanut butter especially when i got really hungry. now that i am eating eat again, my body has become easier to read. what i mean is before when i was a vegetarian, my cravings were for something heavy like peanut butter and with sugar, but when i ate it i wasnt satisfied, even when i was full. fo the longest time i thought i had a eating problem because i didnt want to stop eating. after every meal i wasnt satisfied. but now i when i eat some chicken or fish i feel fine. i dont have the urge to keep on eating. and i think my stomach was stretched before when i was eating bigger portions, so when i started eating meat again i was slowly beginning to notice my portions becoming smaller. it's so nice now not to have food on my mind anymore and a relief that i dont want to keep on eating even after i have eaten a meal.
|

replied April 20th, 2010
I believe anyone can be vegetarian if they have variety in their diet. Being a vegetarian or vegan is a lot of work until you figure out what you should be eating. The way we eat has been passed down from generation to generation and has allowed us to be lazy when thinking about our diets. Vegetarians do not have this instinctive knowledge passed down to them. Its just learning how to eat properly, and it shouldn''t happen overnight. I became vegetarian and eventually vegan over a span of ten years. I still sometimes slip back into being vegetarian instead of vegan because I''m too busy to plan out my meals properly. It does take time and we live in a society of fast food. Healthy vegetarians should look to whole foods. Stay away from processed foods whenever possible, and remember too much of anything is bad for you.
|

replied June 5th, 2010
waite loss
i m riya i have a waite problem my age is 23 yers but my waite is 72 doctors said reduced ur waite 10 to 11 kg bcz i have a swelling in my leg plz tel me wt can i do i m non vegetarein deliy i eat chiken & i cant live without rice & pav plz help me
|

replied June 5th, 2010
hi....
this is riya
plz tell me wt type of food i can eat
break fast or lunch.dinner in between saome thing elsae.
|