Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

Hpylori continues to come back even after treatment.

Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
User Profile
Back in 2007 I tested postive (blood test) for H-pylori. Took treatment and due to other stomach issues I had a EGD done. The EGD showed negative for H-pylori. January 2011 I had stomach issues again and another EGD which I tested postive for Hpylori and discovered I had 2 ulcers. Started treatment again. My question is why this bacteria continues to come back even after treatment. I also have an enlarged very fatty liver and was wondering if H-pylori has anything to do with this. I am also a good candidate for Acid Reflux surgery. I did a 48 hour test which showed that in a 24 hour period I had 274 acid reflux with 8 episodes lasting 13 minutes and the next day I had 179 with 6 episodes lasting 13 minutes. I was wondering if H-pylori has anything to do with this too. I drink very little alcohol 2 times a year if that and I have never smoked. Please direct accordingly.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2011
Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Answer A22249
Hello and welcome to E health forum.

The acid reflux and ulcers could be due to the H pylori infection, but the fatty liver could be due to obesity and dietary habits.

H. pylori infection is thought to be present in about half the people in the world.

Although over 80% of individuals infected with the bacterium are asymptomatic, symptoms associated with H. pylori can be nonspecific, and present as stomach ache or abdominal pain, acid reflux, regurgitation, vomiting, belching, flatulence, and nausea.

If untreated for a long time, H. pylori infections may be related to several serious illnesses: gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), peptic ulcers (duodenal or gastric ulcers), and cancers of the esophagus and stomach.

H pylori is difficult to eradicate with single medications, and results in development of resistance. Treatment for H pylori - needs a combination of a proton pump inhibitor and 2 antibiotics. The duration of therapy can be for 2-3 weeks. Once the treatment is completed, tests should be done to confirm eradication. If the tests are positive , then another course of treatment with change in medications has to be tried.

You might benefit by consulting a gastroenterologist for proper testing and prescription of medications for H pylori.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.