Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

how to stabilize blood sugar

Let's say that for whatever reason you failed to control your symptoms and you're having an hypoglycemic crisis. In other words your sight is disturbed, your head is numb, your thoughts are becoming negative and you feel anxious and like approaching a panic attack, you're cold sweating and breathing heavy.

We all know that when this happens people or doctors who don't know any better suggests to feed the hypoglycemic person sugar. They give you to tell you to eat water and sugar, or a sugar lump, or a tablespoon of honey or if they're less hard-core a glass of orange juice. That would stop the symptoms immediately but would trigger their returning very soon and making them more intense the next time.

So what a person with an hypoglycemic crisis should eat to stabilize slowly the sugar, recover from the crisis and prevent its returning in the next hours?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper LyndaJane
|

replied June 17th, 2008
I guess it depends slightly how deep you are into a crash.

If you are about to feint then some form of fast sugar would be the best option, followed by a small meal 15 minutes later.

If you can feel symptoms 'coming on' i've found a protein/fat source to be best like cheese or nuts.
|

replied June 17th, 2008
I don't know understand though
How can protein/fat sources raise and stabilize blood sugar if they're not sugar/carbohydrates?
|

replied June 18th, 2008
I believe protein slows the conversion of food sugars to glucose, thus preventing any rapid increase in insulin. Google it for a more detailed scientific explanation.
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2008
Community Volunteer
That's not true. The fact is that everything is converted to glucose, protein and fat are slower, that's it. You shouldn't use carbohydrates because you want to stop your body from overreacting. The only way it can do that is have a moderate, but well maintained level of carbohydrates for a long period of time, then you can add stuff later.
|

replied November 27th, 2012
Hypoglycemic attack.
A heaped spoon of peanut butter will do the trick! Sorts out the problem short and longer term.
|