Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

how to feel normal?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Dear all,
I have a weird problem. I work in the finance sector in London. (i'm a 30yr old female) So it has been very very busy for the last few years. I have a 3yr old daughter too. So managing a child, home etc kept me very very busy. I started being a freelancer last year, so I have breaks between contracts. Now the situation is, I am having one of those breaks between contracts and I am finding it very difficult to feel relaxed and normal. I have the whole day to myself, I still find it very stressful. I am browsing all the time looking for information I dont need. I dont watch tv or anything.... I am just very anxious, wanted to finish something, rushing all the time.... I am just browsing for work or just wasting time online... I am soo stressed! I feel I've turned more into a machine. I find it so difficult to enjoy simple joys of life...like, just watch TV with a cup of coffee at 3pm or somehting... I really dont know how to have fun with my little daughter...I just drop her off at the nursery and pick her up in the evening...

Can someone please tell me how I can become normal?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 4th, 2011
Hi bluedrop,

I'm sure it's not news to you that you're not alone with the feelings you described. People feeling anxious and stressful all the time is a normal part of our modern society and, sadly, it seems that feeling stressed out is the new normal.

Let me suggest something very simple that might be helpful for you on several different levels.

There's a pair of points in your forehead that I like to call the "Oh my god" points. I call them that because whenever somebody receives bad or shocking news they reach for these points and say, "oh my God". The points are actually called the Main Frontal Neurovascular points, but I like my name better. ;')

Here's what you might try: pick a situation that causes you stress or anxiety. If there is no situation then just put yourself in your stress/anxiety place and, as you get into that state simply hold the oh my God points with the pads of your fingertips. Hold them there for at leas three to five minutes.

You may discover that your feelings of stress and anxiety start to dissolve. If you hold these points for longer than 5 minutes you may spontaneously heave a heavy sigh, which is thought to be a sign that you have changed state - which is a good thing.

As you repeat this process whenever you feel the stress and anxiety coming on, and as those feelings start to dissolve, your brain is being retrained to respond to these situations in a more resourceful manner.

Best of all, doing this process costs nothing and carries no side effects!

Best regards,

Ron Matthews
YourEnergyMedicineCabinet.com
|

replied October 4th, 2011
Thanks for the reply Ron. Its not about handling stressful situations. Actually, I think I handle them better. I talk to myself, remin calm and focussed and will try to find a solution. The problem is with everyday life. I am living like a machine...

I'll still try to do what you said - like when I am aimlessly wandering on the web for hours...
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2011
Hi Bluedrop! Anxiety and stress are a normal part of modern life but if you feel they are starting to take toll on you , don't let them unattended. It's better to cure them in the first place so they never get to grow and pose more critical situation. A very busy routine at one point of time and being inactive at another won't do you any good. You have to create a balance between the two.
Except that you can utilize your time by browsing something of your interest on the internet, I like playing games on the internet besides reading new books, articles and listening to music.
You and your daughter can watch a short cartoon movie together, take her to a play park or a little shopping- that is what girls always love to do.
Practice some yoga to stay away from stress. You can also check in to a spa occasionally or probably once a week.
|

replied October 10th, 2011
Hi. Its so strange I have been googling "over analysing" which is ironic in itself, and came across your post. Everything you wrote is exactly what I feel to the point where I feel socially inadequate. I find if I have lots to do I function better yet in my performance review my feedback was that I need to relax more!! But it drives me crazy and I just have so much trouble shutting off. I get frustrated when people have social conversations at work because out seems like people are wasting time. I feel guilty and somewhat stuck up because I sometimes just can't stand to be social, then over analyse what people must have thought of me. Argh. I try to keep myself interested and entertained by trying new things like music lessons, treading, cooking, but then I get stock of then and I'm never really good at anything.
|

replied October 10th, 2011
Hi. Its so strange I have been googling "over analysing" which is ironic in itself, and came across your post. Everything you wrote is exactly what I feel to the point where I feel socially inadequate. I find if I have lots to do I function better yet in my performance review my feedback was that I need to relax more!! But it drives me crazy and I just have so much trouble shutting off. I get frustrated when people have social conversations at work because out seems like people are wasting time. I feel guilty and somewhat stuck up because I sometimes just can't stand to be social, then over analyse what people must have thought of me. Argh. I try to keep myself interested and entertained by trying new things like music lessons, treading, cooking, but then I get stock of then and I'm never really good at anything.
|

replied October 12th, 2011
Hi Bluedrop,

I get a similar thing. Ive been running my own business for a while now so ive been extremely busy. i have found the things i use to enjoy arent enjoyable anymore. Ive lost touch with reality somehow.

My day to day life feels surreal. Like its not me doing what im doing, like im a robot. Some times it feels so extreme that i actually stop what im doing and think 'wow this feels weird'. Ive actually once put my hand out in front of me and moved it, watching my fingers move and it felt so surreal almost like it wasnt me.

I sometimes feel its because i have alot of alone time. Im in my office all day and its just me and my computer. Ive found that if i surround myself with other people the 'surreal' kind of feeling goes. So my advice to you is try to be alone less and hopefully it may bring you back down to earth.

I hope it goes well and you get through it, i know it can be tough you just have to keep going until you find yourself again.
|

User Profile
replied October 12th, 2011
Now days people have cocooned themselves inside work and hectic schedules. The demand is so overpowering that people have no time for themselves, family or friends. There is an urgent need to create a balance between work and socializing. We all know man is a social animal so he/she can't live in isolation. Humans do depend on each other for fulfillment of their needs and desires. Maybe an occasional break might be of some help.
|