Medical Questions > Mens Health > Mens Conditions Forum

How to avoid tiredness and sleepy mood.

Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
I am 28 year old working as software professional. My problem is that I am not feeling energetic especially after breakfast I feel tiredness and sleepy, it will spoil around one and half hour minimum Same problem happens in afternoon also after lunch it will spoil around one and half hour so for avoid this problem, I will usually drink coffee, daily I will drink coffee 2 to 3 times. Actually I don’t like to drink coffee much because I know it is bad to health but I have no other choice otherwise I will feel sleepy. Because of this issue, I am not able work properly. I am health conscious, I have undergone casual health check up in my company but they said my health condition is very much fine, my height is 5.10 feet and wait is 70kg, they didn’t find any diabetes/BP problem. I do gym regularly (last 4 months), not much overloaded with my job, try to eat maximum quality food and sleeping nearly 6-7 hours. I never understood the reason of this unhealthiness and I don’t know how I can avoid this problem, I remember I have this problem from my school days but I never took it seriously but I don’t want to continue this health issue further, somebody kindly give a good consultation to tackle this weakness because I really want to make my body dynamic.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
I too get sleepy after meals, the only thing i have found to help this is smaller portions and to try and stay away from heavy foods.
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
SonnuSamuel,

It is a known fact that people get drowsy after eating. Postprandial sleepiness is very common, especially after eating a large amount of food. The digestion of the stomach contents draws extra blood to the GI tract, thus leaving less for the rest of the body and especially the brain, which needs a large amount. There is also a dip in blood sugar right after eating a large meal, just before the blood glucose rises due to digestion of the food.

"Postprandial narcolepsy" is a humorous term commonly used by professors in medical school to refer to the state of medical students' attention in classes immediately after lunch. Professors never want to teach the 1 o'clock lectures, because the students tend to be very sleepy.

But, if all other possible causes of the sleepiness have been ruled out, unfortunately there is not much that can be done. You may need to eat smaller meals, and thus eat more often. Trying to avoid very large amounts of food when you eat. Other than that, it will be just knowing that there is nothing physically wrong with you and that this is just the way you react to digestion. Consuming stimulates (eg caffeine) may be of some help. If the situation is very severe, interfering with your occupation and livelihood, you may be able to get a physician to prescribe a mild stimulant. However, this is not ideal, due to the fact that these medications have a high potential for addiction and abuse.

But, again, make sure there is nothing else going on before attributing it to just "postprandial narcolepsy". You may need to have a thorough physical exam with specialized testing. You might want to speak with a neurologist to see if an exam and testing would be warranted.

Good luck.
|

replied December 4th, 2011
Dear Gaelic,

what you said is correct, I can accept if this sleepy mood disturbs me for half an hour but it will spoil more than or around one and half hour that means I am loosing a very long precious time in my daily job. As you advised, should I meet a neourologist, will all these testing very costly?

waiting for your reply

Gaelic wrote:
SonnuSamuel,

It is a known fact that people get drowsy after eating. Postprandial sleepiness is very common, especially after eating a large amount of food. The digestion of the stomach contents draws extra blood to the GI tract, thus leaving less for the rest of the body and especially the brain, which needs a large amount. There is also a dip in blood sugar right after eating a large meal, just before the blood glucose rises due to digestion of the food.

"Postprandial narcolepsy" is a humorous term commonly used by professors in medical school to refer to the state of medical students' attention in classes immediately after lunch. Professors never want to teach the 1 o'clock lectures, because the students tend to be very sleepy.

But, if all other possible causes of the sleepiness have been ruled out, unfortunately there is not much that can be done. You may need to eat smaller meals, and thus eat more often. Trying to avoid very large amounts of food when you eat. Other than that, it will be just knowing that there is nothing physically wrong with you and that this is just the way you react to digestion. Consuming stimulates (eg caffeine) may be of some help. If the situation is very severe, interfering with your occupation and livelihood, you may be able to get a physician to prescribe a mild stimulant. However, this is not ideal, due to the fact that these medications have a high potential for addiction and abuse.

But, again, make sure there is nothing else going on before attributing it to just "postprandial narcolepsy". You may need to have a thorough physical exam with specialized testing. You might want to speak with a neurologist to see if an exam and testing would be warranted.

Good luck.
|

replied December 7th, 2011
Dear Gaelic,

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer

SonnuSamuel wrote:
Dear Gaelic,

what you said is correct, I can accept if this sleepy mood disturbs me for half an hour but it will spoil more than or around one and half hour that means I am loosing a very long precious time in my daily job. As you advised, should I meet a neourologist, will all these testing very costly?

waiting for your reply

Gaelic wrote:
SonnuSamuel,

Good luck.
|