Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

How soon is it safe to have sex after abortion? (Page 1)

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
Hello, i had an abortion some days ago and i'd like to know how many days after abortion i can have sex. Now i feel myself quiet ok and ready though i'm afraid.
Please help me with advice.

Thank you in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Get601healthy
|

replied July 30th, 2008
Experienced User
I think it's suggested you wait around 14 days because you have a high risk of getting an infection otherwise. I wouldn't take your chances in any case. Oh, and remember, that you can get pregnant as soon as you're done your abortion (aka, now) so remember to protect yourself Smile
|

replied July 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
7 days is the earliest.

During an abortion your cervix is opened due to dilation. It takes at MOST 7 days for the cervix to close and heal.
|

replied July 31st, 2008
Thank you a lot, your advices are really helpful.
|

replied September 6th, 2008
They told me not to have sex for one week after the abortion but if I were you I would wait two weeks to avoid any kind of infections
|

replied March 20th, 2009
i dont know what to do....
I had a d&c procedure done and i had sex 2 days after... what is the risk...
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
D&C is the same procedure used for most abortions, although could be wrong.

The risk is possibly an infection, STD or maybe even pregnancy, the same risk with having sex in general, if it was unprotected(never specified.)
|

replied April 1st, 2012
Your'e right, but having sex normally carries the risk of infection, if unprotected. However, as your womb is exposed due to the opening of the cervix, you could end up with a severe womb infection, which are hideous!
|

replied April 2nd, 2009
Experienced User
i hope ul be having protected sex after!!!
|

replied April 17th, 2009
sex after medical abortion
Is it okay, to have sex again 9 days after I had a medical abortion? My bleeding has stopped, I feel fine in myself - no cramps, sore breasts, no heartburn, no bloated feeling. I feel normal again. Or do you think I should wait?
|

replied April 20th, 2009
wait...they told me i should wait 6 weeks...
|

replied April 20th, 2009
they told me when i had mine a week ago...that i had to wait 6 weeks...isnt that a bit much
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2009
Experienced User
I was also told 6weeks. I know after having a baby its 6weeks but that's because of soreness. But you'd assume that it would only be a week or two just to minimize risk of infection
|

replied July 29th, 2009
Experienced User
I was told at least 3 weeks to ensure the procedure went through ok. And most importantly so you wont get pregnant again. Check out my question...
|

replied August 11th, 2009
well am married and i like to try again ... i had my op 11 days ago then yesterday i stopped bleeding there where only small dark blood drops and we had sex today felt a bit worried!
and just now went to the bathroom i had a bit of blood in my pants!!

what is that am worried about the infection!!!
|

replied August 24th, 2010
me and my partner are going through the same questions. She had an abortion 12 days ago after losing the child and we've been told 7 days, 2 weeks and 6 weeks and we don't know which one to follow. she's stopped bleeding completely and feels 100% back to her old self. but we don't know if the risks of infection are still there 12 days later...any help would be appreciated

thank you in advance
|

replied December 16th, 2010
after d/c
i am facing the problem of spoting after d/c done on 7/12/2010 and only while going to urination.can anybody tell me is this normal or its an infection.
|

replied January 29th, 2011
Can anyone comment on how sex is effected by abortion? I am curious if it makes it worse for either party, or if there's anything the male needs to know in being with a girl who's had one.

Thanks,
Mark C.
|

replied January 31st, 2011
D and C
I had a medical abortion 3 days ago they told me to wait 10 days than they recommend to go check with a doctor to make sure there has been no complications than it is safe to have sex. as for longer wait periods i think it really depends on how far along u were when u had a D and C so you should always listen to what you doctor recommends.
|

replied February 28th, 2011
Worried...does this mean my medical abortion didn't work?
I had a medical abortion 10 days ago, I started the pill 2 days after the abortion so they said I wouldn't continue to bleed. My breasts still hurt, My back is aching again, I have (really light)cramps still, and I haven't stopped bleeding. It isn't a lot but it is enout to warrant a regular pad change 4 or 5 times a day. Does anyone know if this is normal? I had severe cramps on day three with a reasonable amount of clots, so I assumed that was it. I passed it and everything was right on schedule. But, now with the back pain again I am scared.
|

replied September 7th, 2012
for back pain dont eat rice and bnana, orranges,and cold drinks, fridged cool food for atleast after 10 days. it will be very helpful.and take proper bed rest.
|

replied December 12th, 2011
Abortion pill
i took the abortion pill 9 days ago and im wondering if i can start having sex again. i have read that you only have to wait a week but i also have read that you have to wait up to three weeks? which one is it? i know the risks of getting pregnant so i am planning to have plenty of protection. my doctor did not say how long i needed to wait either. any answers ?
|
12 >>