Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Forum

How quickly can symptoms come on and need surgery?

Must Read
Learn the basics about carpal tunnel syndrome here: causes, risk factors and complications....
Are some people born with carpal tunnel? More here on what can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and who is at risk of developing the condition....
Carpal tunnel syndrome is accompanied by very clear signs and symptoms. But how do symptoms change as the syndrome progresses? More info here....
How quickly can the symptoms come on and escalate to the need for surgery? I have had itchy hands for several months and then the tingling and numbness started. Now it wakes me up at night. It's only been about 8-10 weeks for the numbness but the surgeon says the tests showed some non responsive areas in one of my hands and I am scheduled for surgery 8/8. Should I wait? The wrist band helps but it comes back when I type and do other things.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Trailcity,

It probably has been progressing for some time. What sometimes happens, is that the condition sort of smolders along, just below being clinically apparent. Then, it progresses to a clinically evident stage, and it just seems that it come on and progressed rapidly. But, has actually been going on for some time.

But, it is also possible for the condition to progress quite rapidly. (In traumatic cases, such as with distal radius fractures or crush injuries, it can develop in a matter of hours.)

If you have electrical studies which show that you have significant nerve injury already, you should probably have the carpal ligament released. Nerves do not take injury well, and the condition can become permanent quickly.

If you have concerns about the surgery, discuss them with your surgeon before your surgery.

Good luck.
|

replied July 29th, 2012
My mom had the surgery, did not help came back.. FYI. I have it as well.. Sucks
|