Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

How quickly can a Ganglion cyst regrow?

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
In 2009 I had a ganglion cyst surgically removed from my left wrist after years of pain, two years later I've had no issues with it. But one week ago today a car pulled out in front of me and the next day I started having pain in my left wrist. I've noticed the same feeling as before I had the cyst removed, I'm worried that it has grown back, with the scar it is hard to tell if a bump is forming or not, but I can feel something is not right, I went to a Dr. Walk in Clinic and they said it was a sprain. How quickly can a cyst form? Is it possible for it to form over night after a trauma?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
LIL_DMON,

A ganglion cyst can actually form within a matter of several days, depending upon its location and how large it needs to be.

Ganglion cysts of just outpouching of a joint capsule or tendon sheath. There balloon like structures are filled with the synovial fluid that is in the joint and tendon sheath.

Ganglions growth is dependent upon the stress applied to it, but the amount of fluid being pushed into it. Just like a balloon, which is only half inflated, will increase in size when more air is pumped into it, a ganglion will gradually grow larger as most synovial fluid is pushed into the cyst.

The only limiting factor is how fast the body can grow the outer cyst wall.

More than one ganglion can exist at the same time. If a joint capsule of tendon sheath has more than one micro tear in it, then more than one outpouching of the lining can occur.

Ganglions can also be lobulated. They may have one large cell/cyst, with one or more smaller lobes growing off of it.

So, you may have had a very small ganglion in the wrist, which has increased in size after your injury started to produce a little more joint fluid than normal. This extra swelling in the joint had to go somewhere, so it filled up the ganglion more.

That is just one possibility.

If your wrist is still bothering you significantly, you should see your hand surgeon for an evaluation. Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?