Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

How many grams of fat can you tolerate per day?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I don't have stones, but I do have all of the symptoms of a diseased gallbladder. My gastroenterologist agrees despite the fact that I have yet to brave the HIDA exam. At some point I need to but for now a change in diet is fine- though I do realize that long term diets very low in fat often result in malnutrition from lack of fat-soluble vitamins. At this point though it's worth the trade- I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy.

I find that anything more than about 4-5 grams of fat in the span of 4 hours proves painful. In a day I've tolerated up to 20 without pain but usually anything over 10-15 is just asking for it. These days I try to keep it under 10 for the best results... in that range I feel great save for dry skin once in a while. >.<

What about you? Also, for those of you that aren't seeking surgery for your problem how do you replace lost nutrients without the fat in your diet?

Thanks!
-alex
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Some points for Conservative management to avoid symptoms associated gallbladder disease includes:
1) Avoiding mental stress and overstrain
2) Avoid eating special food and deep-fried, and fat free food - The content of fats in the diet that bring on the symptoms might be variable to different individuals.
3. Be on a gall stone specific diet. (Described below)
4) Lifestyle and Dietary habit changes: Paying attention to regular meals on time; Avoid excessive food and/or drink at one meal. By eating right, one can avoid formation of gallstones and also flush out the existing ones.

Important aspects of a Gallstone diet that you might consider following:

1. First and foremost drink plenty of water.

2. A diet rich in water soluble fibers (found in fruits and vegetables).
The inclusion of at least 3-4 servings of vegetables a day and two to four servings of fruit each day is a must in a gallstone diet. Include fruits like - Dried fruits (dates, apricots, prunes, raisins); raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, and oranges. Include more of vegetables like beans, corn, and broccoli.

3. Include a lot of whole grain bread, corn bran, cereals, buns, muffins, bran flakes, whole wheat cereals, whole grain pasta, and brown rice in your daily diet.
Whole grains - help to flush out gallstones; also enhance the digestive system. \

4. To avoid risk of developing more gallstones, make sure you stay away from red meat, fried and fatty food items, onions, alcohol, and eggs. Staying away from heavy proteins like cheese, butter, and whole milk is also a good idea.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.