Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

How long to treat swollen gums?

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Hi, I recently discovered that I had swollen gums last week. I went to the dentist today who did a cleanup (scaling. etc.) and taught me a better brushing technique and told me to floss daily before I went to bed. My gums bled in two, maybe three areas around but that's it. My dentist didn't actually tell me whether I had gingivitis or not but I assumed I had an early stage of gingivitis based on what I read off the internet. With proper oral care (brushing, flossing and mouthwashing), how long will it take for my swollen gums to come down and my gums to have a more pinkish colour?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dlin18
|

replied June 25th, 2009
Gingivitis is anytime your gums bleed. It's a scientific term for inflammed gingiva (gums).

If you had a thorough check-up they would have done what's called a periodontal chart. That is where they basically measure how deep the space is that they are cleaning out. 1-3mm is healthy. 4mm are so-so and 5mm and above are not good.

5mm+ pockets can mean your gums are super swollen or there is bone loss. Bone loss is periodontal disease. This is what you need to find out if you have and to what degree. Bone loss is not reversible like gingivitis is. It doesn't sound to me your dentist checked this and took the time to explain gum diseases to you. You seem genuinely concerned about your dental health. Next time - ask more questions - it's easier to help you when we can actually SEE whats going on as well

As for now, keep up with the flossing. There is no way to say for sure how long it will take for he gum inflammation to go away completely but 3 spots isn't terrible. Also you may want to invest in a sonicare toothbrush. They are GREAT for puffy gums bc they vibrate and its like massaging your gums while cleaning your teeth. I always compare it to walking without shoes on - your feet would get touch but its a good thing to have tough gums! They are pricey but a great investment - it's all I use!

I am a dental hygienist. Have been in dentistry for 14 years. If your dentist cleaned your teeth - request a hygienist next time! Or find a dentist who has a hygienist on staff. Most dentists i know of that have cleaned teeth, don't do it as well as they should mainly because its not as important to them as fillings, root canals, caps etc. They don't get much time in school for hygiene and they didn't become dentists to clean teeth really...and I can't say I blame them lol!
|

replied July 5th, 2009
Hi, it has been almost two weeks since I saw the dentist. The swollen area has gone from dark red/slightly brown to light red. I can't tell exactly, but I think the swollen area has gone down slightly. It's very slow though. I have been flossing for about 1.5 weeks now, and gum pockets do not bleed at all now. The gum pocket around the swollen area might bleed once every couple of days if I do not slide the floss in gently but I am usually very careful with it. Even when it bleeds I continue to floss because I heard that's what you are supposed to do. As for the swelling, should I assume that it might take some time for the swelling to come down? Does it vary from case to case?
|

replied August 20th, 2011
pain in gums
i have swollen gums it hurts a lot but they don
t bleed, could it be gingivits?
|

replied September 18th, 2012
I am into my third week now, it is getting better but a bit slow. I took a course augmentin last week on dental advice. I am rinsing regularly with salt, avoiding chewing on the affected area helps I think. I can see the swelling around my molar subsiding. What upset me most is that ihave always been very scrupulous about dental hygiene, flossing brushing etc.
|

replied March 28th, 2013
Lower front gum
I think my lower front tooth new denture hurt my gums so I took it off , the gum swells like a dimple but not painful. Dentist gave me a week anti biotic but the dimple not subside. Another dentist's opinion said remove it but might bleed ... I am so worry and scare to see dentist . Anyone here can help me cos I recently had an acident , broke my finger .Thanks .
|

replied April 4th, 2013
warm salt water always helps Smile
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2013
If your dentist did not diagnose you with periodontal disease, or after evaluating your oral health did not mention any levels of gingivitis, you should ask your dentist if you have marginal gingivitis or actual gingivitis.

Gingivitis you can fix, but periodontal disease you cannot.

If you're bleeding from certain areas then you might have pockets in those areas, brush and floss as directed. And use an antiseptic mouth rinse to help fend off bacteria... Give it a good month, religiously... and you will see results.
|

replied March 17th, 2014
Swollen gums
Friends, I have swollen gums accompanied by bad breath.My gums used to bleed and now not as much,rare. I had a Flap surgery 1.5 years ago. Please suggest me
|

replied March 17th, 2014
Friends, I have swollen gums accompanied by bad breath.My gums used to bleed and now not as much,rare. I had a Flap surgery 1.5 years ago. Please suggest me
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2014
Swollen gums will cause pain constantly and need the help of a dentist to resolve it. But you also can overcome the swollen gums with traditional home treatments are natural. Great source!
|