Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

how long that semen had hiv virus active?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Hello Doctor ,

(1).suppose hiv+ person was ejeculated in the condom ,so how long that semen had hiv virus active in the condom -(time period)

(2) . 2 weeks dna pcr negative and 4 weeks pcr also negative ,so i am 100% safe ? or i do have any tests further

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2012
HIV and AIDS Answer A32444
Welcome to e health forum.

Yes, a PCR DNA test, if done after 4 weeks of exposure, if negative indicates that you do not have HIV DNA in your blood.

But the need for retesting will depend on the type of exposure and the risk, that you have. Since that has not been provided, I would advice that you need not do a PCR test again. But instead, you should do a HIV Antibody test, at the end of 12 weeks post exposure. In case that is negative, then it is conclusive that you do not have HIV infection.

You may consult with your doctor or counselor for proper advice and help.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.