Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

how long should early infection symptoms last?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Dear Dr.

It's 42 days now after exposure, and my mild-high temperature of 37.2 to 37.7 disappeared (it lasted for about 5 days) my stomach pain also went away, the only problem I still have is a bad headache (6 days now)

My question is, usually how many days should the HIV early infection symptoms last?

My other question is, since I'm above the 2 to 6 weeks after-exposure period, shouldn't I now stop having any HIV infections symptoms? or could it appear even after the 6 weeks?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2012
HIV and AIDS Answer A31968
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The commonly accepted average core body temperature (taken internally) is 37.5 °C (99.5 °F). The typical oral measurement is slightly cooler, with a range of 36.5 - 37.5 °C.

Hence your body temperatures are within normal range.

Other symptoms like headache and stomach pain, are not indicative of HIV infection.

Hence all your concerns of you having HIV symptoms is incorrect.

In addition, symptoms due to HIV are very nonspecific. Any combination of symptoms can be attributed to HIV. In the same way, ‎those symptoms can also be caused by many other causes. ‎

In case you think, you have HIV, first I would recommend you consult a HIV counselor in ‎person. A detailed history about your sexual partners, and other factors will help to evaluate the actual risk in your ‎case, and this will help to decide if you need a HIV test or not. ‎

In case, you do want to get tested, you can get a 4th generation ELISA test at least after 4 weeks after exposure, to ‎get a valid and dependable result. ‎

I hope this helps.‎

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.