Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

how long for skin to heal

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Hi,
I recently had a bad fall on my bike and lost a lot of skin on my arm. It was infected this weekend but it seems to be ok now. I unfortunately have not grown any skin yet and it's been a week!
The doc. says it is very deep.
Does anyone know how long it typically takes to regrow skin??
I'm getting married in 2.5 weeks and would love to at least have a scab!!

Thanks in advance
Paula
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
A former roommate of mine was a chef and consequently cut himself frequently, and seomtimes deeply. He swore on a combination of Neosporin (for infection) and super glue. The super glue helps the outer layer of skin to join so that the healing can happen from the inside-out...which is what is supposed to happen.

Difficulty in healing skin might point to a weakened immune system. What's the state of your overall health?
|

replied August 20th, 2008
immune system
Unfortunately my overall health is not that good right now.. I had an IUD inserted and it gave me an infection in my uterus... so I have been on 3 courses of antibiotics 2 days before the bike accident. My tongue is also coated white, which I think points to the weakend immune system and possible infection in my body.

I don't think I can use the super glue thing though as the skin is clean off my arm.. nothing to glue together!

Anyway, I guess i should continue to take my probiotics and get my immune system up.

I was just interested in knowing how long skin typically takes to grow back on a deep wound.

Paula
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Aha. The white tongue can indicate thrush, which is an overgrowth of candida albicans, an naturally occuring yeast that is present in the intestines. When we take strong doses of antibiotics, the medicine kills both bad and GOOD flora and creates an environment for thrush to develop and grow.

For a second degree instance of road rash , it will take 7-14 days to heal with a new layer of skin. Here are some other tips for treating the wound:

Use a semipermeable dressing (Tegaderm, Bioclusive or Second Skin, for instance) to cover the wound and attach the dressing to dry healthy skin with adhesive tape. The dressing should be changed every few days. Keep the wound moist until it has healed. A moist environment promotes healing, improves tissue formation and protects the area from infection.
|
Quick Reply