Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Celiac Disease Forum

How long for gluten to leave body ?

Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....
How long does it take for the wheat/gluten to leave your body after you stop eating it?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile LisaJoanne
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2009
Experienced User
If you are on a regular diet and then stop ingesting gluten, it can take six months for your body to be totally clear of it.
|

replied July 14th, 2009
what if you're on a gluten free diet and accidentally eat a small amount of gluten? How long does it take for the gluten to leave the body then?
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2009
Experienced User
My understanding is that it can take anywhere up to 2 days for a small amount of gluten to leave the body, but the effects it may cause to your body can last longer. It would depend how susceptible you are. Some people react more violently to small amounts of gluten than others. My son vomits when he accidentally eats gluten, but some people do not have any outward reaction to small amounts. Of course it can still be causing havoc with your insides unbeknownst to you.
|

replied November 21st, 2011
Gluten Cheating
Hi,

I cheating on my gluten free diet big time (I'm gluten sensetive with depression tendencies). Does it make sense that I could suffer depression many days after I stop cheating? Please help...

C.B.
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2012
I'm celiac and often after accidently ingesting gluten or being too careless I offen suffer intense depression for days to follow. Also with other symptoms such as lethargy and skin innormalities. The symptoms should clear up should a strict no-gluten diet be aheared to after a few days and completely gone after a week or so Smile
|
Quick Reply