Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

How long does nexium take.

Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
I have had a bad bitter taste in my mouth for at least two months. I don't have heartburn and the Dr. put me on nexium. How long does it take to kick in. Its been three weeks and still have the bitter taste. I have check tooth and sinus and my gastro dr said its acid relux. thank you any suggestions.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile robichris
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2012
Experienced User
Hi Dave,
Nexium, like any other PPI can start being effective immediately but usually takes three or four days to become most effective.
Unfortunately, the bitter taste you refer to may remain. It is quite a common symptom of GERD.
GERD can also cause sinus problems. (I could provide a link to a research paper on this but this site doesn't like links.)
Acid reflux can also attack teeth.
PPIs stop the acid but do not stop reflux (which can contain enzymes, partially digested food and bile - a recipe for a nasty taste in the mouth if it comes up that far or aspirates into the oral and nasal cavities.
Reflux is controlled by lifestyle changes but for the bad taste. I use frequent mouthwashes and breath freshener spray.
Chris
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Hi Dave,
Nexium, like any other PPI can start being effective immediately but usually takes three or four days to become most effective.
Unfortunately, the bitter taste you refer to may remain. It is quite a common symptom of GERD.
GERD can also cause sinus problems. (I could provide a link to a research paper on this but this site doesn't like links.)
Acid reflux can also attack teeth.
PPIs stop the acid but do not stop reflux (which can contain enzymes, partially digested food and bile - a recipe for a nasty taste in the mouth if it comes up that far or aspirates into the oral and nasal cavities.
Reflux is controlled by lifestyle changes but for the bad taste. I use frequent mouthwashes and breath freshener spray.
Chris
|

Chris,

Thank you for your response. I chew gum many times during the day, I am using biotene brushing more than twice a day. I even stopped drinking coffee switching to a Roasted Grain Beverage. Its not as bad as it sounds. Do you have any idea it this will ever stop?

Dave
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Put it this way. If you can find a solution, let me know. I have had it all my life.
|