Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

how long does it takes to detect HIV after having sex?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
I had unprotected sex with prostitute, however I didn't entered my entire penis into her vagina. I want to know how long does it takes to detect HIV after having sex. I don't know whether she was infected with one or not.
Please reply urgently. I just inserted my tip of penis inside her vagina. However, I am not sure whether I am infect or not. please suggest me something.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2011
HIV and AIDS Answer A23722
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

It is natural to be anxious when posed with the question, of possible infection with a incurable disease ‎like HIV. ‎

But, you need to understand, that a person gets infected only when the partner in question, infact is ‎infected with HIV, and has very high titres. ‎‎

Though, the risk of infection, by just genital contact, without complete intercourse is comparatively ‎very less, than that due to complete intercourse, the risk is still present.‎

The best time to do a ELISA test for HIV antibodies is after 4 weeks of exposure. 90% of normal ‎individuals who have HIV exposure, will seroconvert within 4-6 weeks. The sensitivity of the ELISA test ‎is 99.9%. ‎

If a test once done after 12 weeks of exposure - is NEGATIVE, the chances of developing antibodies to ‎HIV at a later date will be negligible. Hence there is no need to repeat the test again. ‎

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.