Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

how long does HIV survive in air?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
sir i would like to know how long does HIV survive in air. do this time change from types of virus or place. like countries, continent etc. i am from India.

i have listen it deactivates completely once exposed to air is it true?

i have a second question if HIV+ blood is there in a open bottle (not top cover) for five minute will it infect one via any open cut.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2012
HIV and AIDS Answer A32048
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

For your information HIV cultures in accredited research laboratories is done under strict conditions, as it is not able to survive outside the host cell.

HIV is a very delicate virus and its survival outside the host cell requires multiple factors including specific Ph, temperature, moisture, etc.

In the absence of the required factors HIV outside the host cell can lose its infectiousness within a few minutes to a few hours (depending on the specific surroundings). The location or the country does not matter much.

When infected blood, comes into contact with intact skin, it does not result in infection. This is due to the fact that HIV cannot penetrate the thick keratin layer on the skin.

But, HIV can be transmitted when infected blood comes into contact with open wounds, open sores and deep cuts on the body. Viruses in the infected blood can infect the living tissue within such surfaces and hence result in infection. But for this to happen the blood should be in sufficient amounts, should be fresh and the skin cuts or wounds should not have healed.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.