Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

How long do schizophrenic episodes last without meds?

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
I was wondering how long do the episodes last without meds? It has been a year since the last one but he went into the hospital because of the last one.

His mother lives nearby and she said last time that he had to go or he wouldn't get better. He doesn't trust his mother at all and neither do I. She is verbally abusive to him (although she wouldn't admit it; she says she's just joking with him). I don't want to force him to go to the hospital, like I said before I don't want to violate his trust. But, she insists that he HAS to be on meds to get better and she is not a doctor by a long shot.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper oopsagain
|

replied July 27th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
Something that you might try is perhaps some medication, not as much as possible every day every night, I remember when I first had my "psychosis" i took my meds for a few months and then stopped, I was fine for almost a year without them. Although I did need more organization and preparedness for if anything went wrong during that time, I had none. But I know that it is possible to go awhile and be fine without meds.

It would appear in some cases that the longer you are on meds the more that you need them, and the less amount of time you can go without symptoms.

I suppose that sometimes it's necessary to be on meds, but people with this problem should try without at first, and then perhaps a little, and then on to the usually prescribed doses if necessary.

Not to mention the physical diseases that do happen, everytime somebody is on them. No wonder people don't want to take their medicine.
|
Users who thank oopsagain for this post: Skw1rl 

replied July 27th, 2011
Experienced User
Hey there Gloria1,

My last psychotic episode was in 2007, when the voices first set in. I actually admitted my own self to a mental facility, because I was absolutely terrified and wanted someone to protect me from my "neighbors" (1st episode) and the "clairvoyants" (2nd episode). I didn't think anyone would be able to follow me into a locked-down mental facility, even clairvoyants.

The 1st episode resulted in them prescribing sleeping pills, which allowed me to get some much-needed sleep and also alleviated the voice hallucination for a couple of months. The 2nd episode resulted in the schizophrenia diagnosis and anti-psychotic medication, which enabled me to feel safe and in the right mind frame to begin absorbing real information about my illness.

I'm not currently on any anti-psychotic medication, but I still hear voices 24/7, which, according to the experts, is basically a non-stop hallucination. However, I no longer perceive the voices to be a physical threat from *outside* sources, so I suppose that's why I haven't had any psychotic episodes for a few years now.

I think schizophrenics basically need to be educated about their illness, as it helps to know what to expect along the way. They need to be honest with themselves as to how they are able to handle things on their own. They are the best at determining this, as no one else is *in* there... The key is to be absolutely honest with themselves.

You may want to have a heart-to-heart and ask him to really consider how he is able to handle things. Hopefully, he will be able to come to some sort of conclusion on his own, like I did.

That said, some people absolutely need medication to feel safe and enjoy life again. It's really all about the quality of life.
|
Users who thank Christina2011 for this post: Skw1rl 

replied July 28th, 2011
TY everyone. Right now I have no meds at all. I found one leftover Fazaclo and he took it after bargaining and pleading. That was a couple of days ago. I took a nap and found him watching Hellraiser 4 again. I asked how many times has he watched it today. He said eight (?). It was probably less than that cuz logically it wouldn't be possible. He is convinced he is Pinhead the main antagonist in the movie.

I told him it is just a movie that none of it is real. He got upset and took an old PS2 that he had and threw down on the floor and said see that is real!
|

replied July 29th, 2011
Hellraiser 4?! Not something that I would watch over and over again. Although you can't be sure if he's actually watching it, during my psychosis, I popped in an old movie due to being bored from being up for days, and during the movie It would seem to skip around, I would look up and most of the movie would be over. I think I remember it skipping around, I guess the ghost wanted to watch for a bit or something.

I was also busted for staring at tv snow, eerily like poltergeist.
|

replied July 29th, 2011
I've heard that it can subside in about a month, a little over to be specific. But who knows.

I'm just against to many meds all of the time, because I was sent down that road and it gets to the point when you realize that you should've just stuck it out, because what's the point of just being physically sick all of the time.

There has to be some kind've middle ground.

There are those people though when meds don't help at all, I've seen guys on three handfuls a day and nothing happens in a positive way.

So, find out which kind he is, where is he on the spectrum.
|
Users who thank oopsagain for this post: Skw1rl 

replied July 29th, 2011
I saw this post about treating with niacin and vitamin C but mostly niacin. I looked into it more and I want to try it. Now, I just have to get some money to do that. I have foodstamps maybe I can get it with that.

Has anyone tried this? How about you oopsagain? (
(This is Gloria1. I changed my username to one I usually use.)
|

replied July 29th, 2011
I've only recently been getting into vitamins.

I take alot of vitamin c, a super b complex, omega 3s 6s and 9s, and I want to get into alot of others also.

But with me they do make me feel better, but not really with the "schizophrenia", but I would say that anybody in any situation needs their vitamins and healthy food and drink.

And they don't really make symptoms subside, just kind've make you feel better.

And I read your other post, any violence means a hospital visit.
|

replied July 29th, 2011
Here is part of the article regarding niacin therapy:

Niacin Therapy
Niacin has been found to have medicinal benefits aside from those mentioned above. The most widespread use of vitamin B3 as a therapeutic vitamin is for lowering bad cholesterol levels and promoting general heart health. It is also being used for treatment and management of schizophrenia, psychosis and dementia. Niacin therapy has also been used for arthritis, diabetes, weight loss and acne. Therapeutic doses of niacin cannot be achieved by intake of food with niacin. Instead, supplemental doses of niacin are needed. To affect various conditions, niacin supplements should be taken in doses that are much more than the minimum RDA - usually starting from doses as high as 2000 milligrams.
|

replied July 29th, 2011
Here is part of the article and a link (if I can post a link) regarding niacin therapy: (I put stars where a dot supposed to be so it will post.)
www*nutritional-supplements-health-guide*c om/foods-containing-niacin*html

Niacin Therapy
Niacin has been found to have medicinal benefits aside from those mentioned above. The most widespread use of vitamin B3 as a therapeutic vitamin is for lowering bad cholesterol levels and promoting general heart health. It is also being used for treatment and management of schizophrenia, psychosis and dementia. Niacin therapy has also been used for arthritis, diabetes, weight loss and acne. Therapeutic doses of niacin cannot be achieved by intake of food with niacin. Instead, supplemental doses of niacin are needed. To affect various conditions, niacin supplements should be taken in doses that are much more than the minimum RDA - usually starting from doses as high as 2000 milligrams.
|

replied July 30th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
If niacin which is extremely cheap and available could fix mental illness there would be no mental illness.
Schizophrenia is not a broken leg it is a broken brain and u ask the broken brain to put itself back together. well this has been tried for 100 years and failed.
on the other hand medical experts r available but ONLY so much money can be given to what is perceived by medical experts to be marginally successful.
best advice for mentally ill is to follow the help offered because there is a limit and IT DOES NOT MATTER if it is considered unfair IT IS HOW THINGS R.
Rational people deal with HOW THINGS R
not what many want to hear but that is what r
|

replied August 1st, 2011
I am not saying that niacin would fix mental illness.

There is a post in this forum titled "Niacn and Schizophrenia" that peaked my interest. It mentions a doctor by the name of Abram Hoffer that did extensive research on using niacin and vitamin C in treating schizophrenia. His research is NOT from a 100 years ago.

I also found other independent sources that are now using that form of therapy also. Just google schizophrenia and niacin and you will find it. They don't claim to "cure" it, just that it helps. Schizophrenia can not be cured just managed. I like being able to use more natural means to help alleviate illnesses. Hey, it can't hurt and if it helps even better.
I never said anything about things being unfair or not. Rational people will look at things from different perspectives also.
|

replied August 1st, 2011
Check this user nutrition4schizophrenia on this forum also. They have some good tips on how to help treat schizophrenia using nutrition and vitamins. They also mention this book that Abram Hoffer wrote about treating schizophrenia using vitamins and nutrition.
|

replied March 23rd, 2013
Psychotic episode, advice for my special needs sister
How long does the first episode last? Are there moments of clarity where you feel better? Will you remember the episode after you're better? Are there long term effects? My sister is in a psychotic state and she has special needs so its hard for her to exain what she's feeling. Thank you.
|
Tags: meds, abusive, admit
Quick Reply