Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

how long do mono symptoms last?

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
i have mono and the symptoms just started showing a week or two ago.
my tonsils are so swollen that i cant swollow anything.. including my saliva.
i can barely talk.. people say i sound like stitch off of lilo and stitch.
i cant breath well and i have been on a few different meds cause nothing is helping with the swelling.
i just got mono a few days before summer starts so i was wondering..
will it ruin my whole summer?
how long will the symptoms last?
how long is it contagious for?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper drummerfaerie
|

replied July 5th, 2009
i don't know how long it is contagious for but the symptoms can last for quite awhile. the acute phase (which is what you're going through) can last up to two months possibly longer. after that you can experience the fatigue and sore throat for months on end, just on a less severe scale. i had mono myself just this past february/march and i still experience the fatigue, sore throat, fever etc on occasion. what i'm not sure about is if this is still the mono or if my immune system is just shot because of the mono. either way...it can take awhile
|

replied July 5th, 2009
okay im over the symptoms now.
i got over the symptoms after about 12 days.
now im just wondering, when can i drink alcohol agaain? and how long im actually contagious for.
|

replied July 11th, 2009
i dunno. i was just told by my doctor (i had mono in march of this year) that i'm pushing too hard and i'm headed for a relapse. she told me quite specifically NO physical activity for the next year. which is hard because i work out everyday. i know that mono attacks your lymphatic which is the system in your body that processes toxins out. it's like the body's sewage system if you will. so as far as the alcohol is concerned, you'll be putting more toxins into a system that is already taxed. i mean by all means talk to your doctor. just seems a little silly to me to do that. but i could be wrong. Smile
|

replied July 11th, 2009
I've read you should wait anywhere from 2 months to a year before you drink again. Mono inflames your liver and drinking alcohol which damages it anyway will damage it a lot worse when it is inflamed.
|

replied June 1st, 2012
Do you think I have Mono
HI there
I've just moved back from Canada 3 months ago to the Uk. I was very sick there prior to moving, fever, sore throat, cough. Got checked for strep throat which showed positive only in the blood work here in the Uk. Felt wiped out, put it down to huge stresses in my life over the last few years and the recent big move back to the Uk. I was given antibiotics for what we thought was the strep throat, but have not really shaken the symptoms off inc. chest pain, especially under left side of rib cage, lots of headaches, ear and sore throats, swollen glands in the throat and under armpits, nauseous and general feeling of not being well. The doctor tried to fob me off again with antibiotics, but I feel this is just going to knock my immune system even more and need to get to the bottom of this, it's over 3 months now. I'm now getting concerned about my liver and spleen, please advise Thanks, Jane.
|

replied June 1st, 2012
Do you think I have Mono
HI there
I've just moved back from Canada 3 months ago to the Uk. I was very sick there prior to moving, fever, sore throat, cough. Got checked for strep throat which showed positive only in the blood work here in the Uk. Felt wiped out, put it down to huge stresses in my life over the last few years and the recent big move back to the Uk. I was given antibiotics for what we thought was the strep throat, but have not really shaken the symptoms off inc. chest pain, especially under left side of rib cage, lots of headaches, ear and sore throats, swollen glands in the throat and under armpits, nauseous and general feeling of not being well. The doctor tried to fob me off again with antibiotics, but I feel this is just going to knock my immune system even more and need to get to the bottom of this, it's over 3 months now. I'm now getting concerned about my liver and spleen, please advise Thanks, Jane.
|

replied June 1st, 2012
how long does mono last till you are almost cured? is there any medication? and i need to know whether its contagious or not?
|

replied August 16th, 2012
Mono has an incubation period of 4-8weeks and is very contagious through saliva and the virus can still be passed on for about 18 months after recovery, if I remember right. That or it's after symptoms stop. After you're fully recovered and those 18months have passed, the virus lies dormant in your lymphatic system for the rest of your life and can occasionally become reactivated during periods of stress, this time around you may not show any symptoms or they may not be as bad, but it would probably be best not to share drinks or anything like that and to avoid vigorous activities since the spleen can become enlarged in 50% of people with mono and can rupture if there's too much pressure put on it. So take it easy, get lotsa rest, drink a lot of water and sleep. There isn't a whole lot that can be given to treat mono, it kinda just has to run its course. A doctor can provide a steroid to help bring down inflammation if it's an issue. But for the most part, it's just Tylenol for the headache and other comforts that won't do further damage. Feel better Smile!
|

replied May 20th, 2013
I was diagnosed with mono eight to ten days ago. I had felt a sore throat starting and started taking a brand name vitamin c supplement drink once a day, 1000 mg, for a week or so before I went in. Even though I thought I had mono, my doc didn't agree because of my lack of sore throat (vitamin c i think, truly.) Tests came out positive of course. I am vacationing now and the mono symptoms were bad for four or five days... Headache, fatigue, swollen lymphs, swollen spleen, night sweats, but still no throat problems... And then I upped my vitamin c dose to two packets of 1000 mg a day at separate times. I don't know for sure if that is what did it, but now I am symptom free but for a slight fatigue when I do physical activity. Those vitamin c packets have made it so I haven't had a real sore throat or bad cold in years, I am surprised it helped with mono, too (assuming it did!) Anyway, it can't hurt to help your immune system out.
|