Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

how long before removing staples?

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
how long is a the ideal time to remove the staples in major abdominal ventral hernia surgery (45 stitches , about 1 foot, three hernias)?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 10th, 2012
is 12 days too soon? the surgeon is available 12 days or 19 days after the surgery. which day s/ I pick? obviously, i want the most complete healing. how long does it take to for skin to start growing over the staples to create a problems?

is 12 days too soon? the surgeon is available 12 days or 19 days after the surgery. which day s/ I pick? obviously, i want the most complete healing. how long does it take to for skin to start growing over the staples to create a problems?
|

replied March 10th, 2012
Experienced User
i'm confused by your post. first you say staples in the title and then you say stitches in the body of your post. most surgeons use dissolvable stitches at the surface for their closures. the only place i know of that uses metal clamps on their closure is the shouldice center in canada. and...shouldn't the surgeon be telling you when to take them out? if not, it would be safe to say that 12 days would be sufficient, as long as you aren't doing anything to stress that area for another week or so after the removal.
|

replied March 10th, 2012
I was using stitches = staples. THere are 45 staples. THe discharge papers from the hospital say 7 - 10 days after discharge. BUT, the surgeon is only available 5 or 12 days after discharge, which would be -2 days before he low end that was recemmended inthe discharge specs or +2 days after the latest day in the range from the disacharge specs. INcredibly, the nurse said it was 'up to me' which day I should pick. So I am asking you all, since the office did not give me any help.

7 - 10 days after discharge would equal 14 - 17 days after surgery. The doc is only available 12 days or 19 days after surgery due to his schedule constraints.

I wd think it is better to be a shy later to ensure maximum healing vs the other option. Obviously one would TRY to limit stress to that area, but there is always the possibility of accidental stress for lots of reasons (getting up to the bathroom , for example, and forgetting about the need for assistance or there being no assistance since I am at home and a hos of other possible reasons.
|