Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

How long after ovulation pain do I stay fertile?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
User Profile
We use condoms during my fertile week as a birth control.
I usually experience ovulation pain. How long after I experience ovulation pain do I stay fertile? i.e. How long do we need to keep on using condoms from the time i feel the ovulation pain?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2011
Fertility Answer A27997
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Usually for a regular menstrual cycle of 28-30 days, the fertile days would lie between day 8-18 taking day 1 as first day of bleeding. Monitor cervical mucus changes and the BBT (basal body temperature) charting to predict your ovulation day. The egg once released from ovary, can stay alive for 6-7 days and sperms once released inside you can stay alive for 3-4 days. Wait and watch for your next periods. If pregnancy is suspected, look out for development of any new symptoms. If you do not start with periods within 10 days of expected period dates, or if you get abnormal periods, or if you develop symptoms suggestive of pregnancy, you should consider visiting your gynecologist for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately).
If pregnancy gets ruled out, and if you intend to remain sexually active (and if not ready for pregnancy), consider visiting your gynecologist to get started on suitable regular birth control measures to be protected (after your periods). Be regular with birth control use as instructed. Avoid having unprotected sexual contact.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.