Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

How hernias appear

User Profile
I visited my GP last night, as i\\\\\\\'ve been noticing that when walking or standing My navel changes, He thinks it;s a small hernia. the past week or so I\\\\\\\'ve been a bit constipated, could this cause it? I have to wait 8-12 weeks for the NHS, to asses it

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2010
Hernia Answer A14580
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

Hernias appear on so-called anatomically weak spots on the abdominal muscular wall. Hernias appear in situations when there is increased abdominal pressure such as pushing, pulling, weight lifting and pushing when defecating. The increased abdominal pressure causes part of intestines or peritoneum to pass through that weak spot and create a lump. It can be diagnosed with a physical exam and an ultrasound.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: hernia, weight
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Robert Wascher
User Profile
Dr. Robert Wascher
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.