Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

How easy is it to contract HIV?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Hi everyone,
I had unprotected sex with a guy two weeks ago and since then I've been so stressed, worried and have been living in constant fear that I have contracted HIV. I was told to wait 12 weeks to test but I honestly might have a nervous breakdown before then. I've known the guy I slept with for almost 3 years and I know that him and his friends are skirt chasers. They love women. He told me that he's only had sex with one other woman after he had his last STD test (which he said came back negative for everything). I know people lie. I don't and won't take his word for it. I have literally convinced myself that I have HIV and that I will die in 10 years. I'm naturally a very anxious person but this is anxiety like I've never experienced. Can someone please help me? How easy is it to catch HIV? Do I really have to wait 12 weeks? I have not had any symptoms (I've been researching like a mad woman) and I don't feel any different. I do know that some people who test positive for HIV never had symptoms and had no idea they were infected. I know you all can't tell me whether or not I have HIV but I just need someone to talk to. I feel like I'm going to explode.
Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 17th, 2010
It is not that easy to catch HIV. It is not even a human virus. Give it another 200 years and maybe. I can't remember the percentage, but it is probably one of the harder one to catch among the STDs.

I understand your anxiety, and the best you can do right now is go get tested, wait for the result with positive thoughts.

Also, altho it is not curable, it is manageable these days. It is usually the shame that ppl have problem living with. In that case, the same go for Hep B and Herpes.

But my point is, get tested, and don't think about what you can't help. Be educated for future, and help others who are feeling the anxiety right now. Come back here to spread knowledge when u know u are in the clear!

God bless.
|

replied February 20th, 2012
aids
i have aids and im in pain :@ can anyone help me ? Sad
|