Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

How drugs and alcohol affect thrombocyte levels

Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
User Profile
I have recently been diagnosed with ITP (low blood platelets) and am receiving treatment. My question is how does smoking marijuana and drinking alcohol effect this condition? Specifically, the smoking of marijuana, as I can't seem to find an answer online. I've found studies that in healthy people who smoke vs. don't smoke it, it only marginally lowers them, but not with people who have ITP. Can you please let me know the honest side-effects, etc.? Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2009
Blood Disorders Answer A8488
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad to help you.

You would like to know whether smoking marijuana and drinking may affect the number of the thrombocytes.

Thrombocytes are usually decreased due to two reasons: when there is increased usage of the thrombocytes in the coagulation or when their production is decreased. Smoking affects the blood platelets count by decreasing it as well as the marijuana. Drinking affects the liver, which is included in the production of four factors of coagulation. If the liver starts to lower its function, the ITP symptoms may be emphasized due to the lowered production of those four factors of coagulation.

According to the data that you provided, you experience ITP. You may consider quitting smoking marijuana and drinking. You may also consider seeing a hematologist for further advice about the treatment options of ITP.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact you doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a hematologist for further advice.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Blood Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.