First you must know " What is MEDITATION? " before you start meditating.
Meditation is journey from sound to silence, from movement to stillness.
People have different concepts about meditation. According to many, meditation is concentrating on something. Sri Sri Ravi Shankar says, meditation is deconcentration. Meditation is accepting this moment - living every moment totally. However, the result of meditation is improved concentration.
When the mind is engaged in some activity, it gets tired. So any type of concentration, contemplation or any activity in the mind can drain your system. Meditation is that which doesn't drain you, but just gives you deep rest. It is almost like sleep, but not exactly sleep. Meditation calms the mind and gives it deep rest
How to Meditate?
1. There is no need to get into any particular posture, unless you feel like it. Just keep your spine straight. While meditating if spine bend , don't think that you were doing wrong, it may happen. Whenever you become aware that your spine is bent , again straighten your spine.
2. Do not position your attention in any particular way.
3. Let whatever happens happen. Let the random thoughts come. You can't control thoughts. Remember whatever you resist, it persists.
4. Any time you notice yourself doing anything intentionally, stop. Doing anything intentionally means something you can voluntarily control, and therefore can stop. If you cannot stop doing something, then it's not intentional, and therefore you don't need to try to stop doing it. So, Anything you can stop doing, stop doing.
Some examples of things you can stop doing are:
(a) Intentionally thinking
(b) Trying to have equanimity
(c) Trying to keep track of what's going on
(d) Trying to focus on something specific
(e) Trying to meditate
(f )Let go of doing anything like this
5. Keep doing nothing for at least 10 minutes, or as long as you like.
It's not as easy as it seems , but practice will make you perfect.
Everytime you meditate your experience will be different. There is nothing like RIGHT or WRONG in meditation.
Whenever you feel SLEEPY or taking a NAP after meditation , you were not meditating (You were SLEEPING). If you feel +ve energy, deep rest, calm mind, fresh, enthusiastic etc after meditation you were meditating.