Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

How can someone sleep while hearing voices from PTSD?

I have a friend who tells me she has trouble getting to sleep every single night. She has tried having audio books play softly in the background, guided imagery like counting sheep or imagining beaches, taking melatonin, masturbating, etc. She says she hates warm milk for some reason.

She says she hears voices which torment her all the time, and that it's not schizophrenia but PTSD. These voices often make it impossible for her to focus on anything or sleep. So I'm wondering, does anyone have any suggestions for sleeping that pertain to this specific condition?

By the way, she also says she has panic attacks at night that keep her awake. The voices and the panicking are directly related.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper BeIrie
|

replied March 31st, 2012
I think your friend needs a therapist, counsellor or psychologist.

If she has PTSD she needs help to recover.

If she already is getting professional help then that person is probably helping with her sleep problems.

I'm sorry to hear your friend is having trouble sleeping. I know what it's like, I've had sevre PTSD years ago and insomnia for most of my life. It's really hard!

Being a calm, loving, listening friend will really help her! It sounds like that's what you're doing.
|
Users who thank BeIrie for this post: Justaguy1988 

replied March 31st, 2012
Experienced User
Thank you. Yes, she is seeing a therapist who is helping her.

So if you yourself have had PTSD and insomnia did anything help you with them? Are there any tricks you know? What did you do when you couldn't sleep?
|