Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

How can I put on weight evenly?

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
I've had an eating disorder for a little while now, but am desperately trying to recover. However, although I want to eat more to begin recovery, the thought of it all going back on my stomach freaks me out far too much and stops me from eating a normal amount most days. I know my body is probably in "starvation mode" because it has been restricted to a low calorie diet for so long, and I would like to make sure I increase my food content carefully so my metabolism slowly increases with it. I'm currently 93lb, and would like to find out how to gain weight slowly and evenly, rather than suddenly storing it all as fat on my stomach. Has anyone got any tips? If I can learn how I could do this without it all landing on my tummy, I think it would really help my chances of actually starting to eat a little more.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi Amaretti and welcome to ehealth: ...My best advice is for you to make an appointment with a Nutritionist at a clinic...Talk with her and find out her ideas on how to get you on a varied diet that will meet all your needs...They are skilled in doing this...

About 7 years ago, I along with my husband, met with one to set up a diet for him as he was pre-diabetic...I found the information that she gave us more beneficial than any diet book I could ever read....

Check it out...Hopefully this will work for you...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied February 6th, 2011
Thanks for the welcome CarolineEF Smile

Seeing a nutritionist is definitely very good advice, as they are experts in giving the body what it needs in the best possible way. I'm glad it was so beneficial for you and your husband, and I'm hoping it will be so for me too!

My doctor has referred me to a nutritionist, but due to the surgery's high waiting list, it could take up to a month even to get an appointment (and then the appointment itself may be some time after that). I'm getting registered at an actual ED clinic though, so hopefully the waiting time there will be much shorter, as in a month I could easily lose another half stone if I don't get my eating under control. Until I hear back though, I'd definitely appreciate any tips on how to gain weight evenly, or even on how to break the annoying mindset of restriction - it would help to keep me motivated to actually change the way I eat and think about food, as it would be all too easy to slip back into not wanting to get better again.
|

replied February 18th, 2011
When I first started gaining weight I gained it in my stomach, like almost all of it went there. I also retained water easily an had trouble going number 2, of you get what I mean. The bathroom problem and water retaining problem stopped/lessened after 3 weeks to a month. DO NOT take laxatives or purge to fix the problem, no matter how bad it hurts! Trust me I did both it took even LONGER for me to be "regular" after that!
The weight gain starts in the stomach because women need it there for periods and babies, my doctor said so. It took me 3-4 months for the weight to spread out more evenly (ie loose the bump on the bottom of my tummy). But every body is different. Just don't expect your body to be 'normal' again in a week or 2, its SUCKS but that wont happen. I expected that and relapsed when I didn't recover fast enough.
|

replied March 8th, 2011
Thanks June Smile I really appreciate your honesty! I'm finding that (although I've only put on a few pounds) it is currently going on my tum. Hopefully it will spread out a little more evenly over the coming months!

I'm finding I'm totally getting loads of water retention/bloating too, and it can be really painful on the belly! Hope that my body learns to adapt soon, sometimes I look like a stick insect that has swallowed a large egg because of the swelling!

It is a very very scary process, and I'm hoping I'll be alright - at the moment I'm finding it extremely tough, both physically and psychologically.
|